• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    Just bought into the dip in the market, I think this could go lower but I've bought at a 5 year low for the share I was after. I think a lot of the disruption is starting to get priced in now, if the virus blows itself out by the summer the economy should start turning a corner.
    The prediction is that peak Covid-19 will be sometime in April or May. Until then the stock markets around the world will tulip a brick everytime something bad happens.

I might miss the absolute bottom of the markets, but I won't pile in until either the helicopter money is falling on the lawn or the global case counts are falling and it's back to good news times in the media....
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Futures on US, UK and European markets all down around 4% to 5% at the time of writing.

Oil down 22% due to russia refusing to cut production and leading to Saudi increasing production and launching price war

The more and more China industries are switching off... wouldn't be surprised if we wake up in the morning at $20 a barrel.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The more and more China industries are switching off... wouldn't be surprised if we wake up in the morning at $20 a barrel.
        The massive drop in oil is much more to do with the price way launched by the Saudi's. If that persists it'll actually act as a form of short term stimulus to the Chinese and western economies. The US shale producers will take a hit as they need oil around $50 to make money

Comment

Can't see cheaper oil stimulating the economy when no bugger wants to go into work.

Like the soy farmers, the US oil producers are soon going to be out of work if this price war goes into April. Almost like Putin is deliberately trying to crash the US economy.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
            The US shale producers will take a hit as they need oil around $50 to make money
            And, more importantly, to avoid defaulting on a mountain of debt.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              And, more importantly, to avoid defaulting on a mountain of debt.

Absolutely, US corporates are up to their eyeballs in debt. Perfect storm is brewing.

Breakfast at Putin's place this morning be like...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

75 minutes to go...

If the market closes with that last candle intact without climbing to 6200, then tomorrow is going to make Monday look like good day.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    75 minutes to go...

If the market closes with that last candle intact without climbing to 6200, then tomorrow is going to make Monday look like good day.

The next big shock on the horizon is 2 weeks away when we go full Italy. How much of that is priced in it is hard to tell, we may also start seeing some major business failures. Chances are we are going to stagger along as we are for another few weeks until we are in the eye of the storm.
                    Last edited by PlanB; 10 March 2020, 16:19.

Comment

Agreed. Many businesses are so levered up that any interruption to cashflow will F£$k them up.

I remember reading in the SJD accountancy handbook when I started my contracting career "the majority of businesses fail through poor cashflow management". That sentence stuck in my head ever since.

Comment

Working...
                      X