• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Full story here: Finding peace in a life sold for $2

But nowadays we have laws against such things.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Yes and nothing to do with the Great Depression era of the 1930s - but I suppose it's like all of Scotty's investment research: he just Googles a topic and takes the first one he finds as gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

SueEllen.

The childeren [SIC] in 1948. Lana (top left) was likely adopted and died of cancer in 1998; RaeAnn (top right) was sold for $2 along with her brother Milton (bottom left) to an abusive family. Sue Ellen (bottom right) was adopted. David, inside mother Lucille Chalifoux's womb in this picture, was adopted as well. Lucille would have four moure daughters; "She kept them; she didn't keep us," David says.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          If you knew who the largest shareholder in HSBC was, you'd be able to answer that. As you don't, because your research is up there with Chris Kamara's, I'll tell you. It's Ping An Insurance, biggest insurance company in China who also own the Lloyds of London building among many other global assets.
          Throw in that London has by far its largest balance sheet and, no, don't worry, HSBC will be well-placed. They've also got a very strong mortgage book and have always been more cautious lenders than the likes of HBOS.
          Yeah British Airways also own a bunch of planes no one is using and even they are having to turn to the government for help. Say why aren't the shareholders helping out?!

"They've also got a very strong mortgage book" - that made me laugh. They are so over leveraged you wouldn't believe.

Hong Kong is poised for another real estate crisis as falling home prices drive more mortgage borrowers into negative equity

Even the mighty HSBC cannot stop the flood of their loans turning bad. This is not a business showing strength, this is a business looking for lifeboats.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Pooper, why won’t you buy shares in Deutsche Bank and STFU about things you can’t comprehend?

Comment

Yeah British Airways also own a bunch of planes no one is using and even they are having to turn to the government for help. Say why aren't the shareholders helping out?!

"They've also got a very strong mortgage book" - that made me laugh. They are so over leveraged you wouldn't believe.

Hong Kong is poised for another real estate crisis as falling home prices drive more mortgage borrowers into negative equity

Even the mighty HSBC cannot stop the flood of their loans turning bad. This is not a business showing strength, this is a business looking for lifeboats.
              You are comparing Apples and Cucumbers and expecting to get a match

Because airlines haven't been told to.

The PRA have forced all the banks to do this, so they have, in theory, more money to lend.

I don't see why you find this concept so difficult to understand
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Don't worry - London HQ... they're untouchable......... Dream on.

I'm reminded of RBS on 07 with its 100+ year history, they can't go down, yet they overextended themselves with massive hubris at the helm. HSBC are next in line...

Hong Kong investors warn of action over HSBC dividends - In HK there are people that depend on those dividend payments for general living expenses

Retail investors in Hong Kong have threatened legal action against HSBC and will attempt to force the bank to hold an extraordinary general meeting, after it was pressured by UK regulators to cancel its dividend due to the coronavirus crisis.

The controversy surrounding the suspension of HSBC’s annual payout to shareholders for the first time in nearly 75 years has again highlighted the lender’s complicated situation in Hong Kong, where it derives most of its profits before tax.

Individual HSBC shareholders in the Asian financial hub — ranging from wealthy business people to low-income earners — have banded together in an attempt to reach the threshold of 5 per cent of outstanding shares required to secure an EGM.

“The decision [to withhold dividends] is unreasonable, this is about gathering Hong Kong people who have held the shares for a long time and fighting for our rights,” said office clerk Raymond Tang, a member of a large Facebook group dedicated to the cause.

HSBC’s fortunes are more tied to Hong Kong than ever

Not so long ago, HSBC was the world’s biggest bank by market value. Even after a decade of trimming, it is still vast, with $2.7tn of assets and a presence in 65 countries. Think of globalisation and you think of HSBC.

And yet the bank is not really global at all — at least not in terms of where it makes its money. In the third quarter of last year, the latest reported period, the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, true to its name, made about 80 per cent of its profits in Hong Kong and mainland China.

For much of the bank’s 155-year history, that often vibrant home market has been a strength, offering high profit margins and high growth. But, with the fate of Hong Kong as a semi-autonomous Chinese territory hanging in the balance, it is starting to look like a vulnerability.

Last week there was a small but potent reminder of that, as Hong Kong protesters made a vociferous start to 2020. On Wednesday and Thursday, a string of branches and ATMs came under attack from protesters who accused the bank of bending to the will of Beijing when it froze money raised through crowdfunding to finance the protests.

So far, there has been little impact from the protests on financial performance. HSBC’s Hong Kong profits actually grew in the third quarter. Locals apparently saw the bank as a beacon of strength amid market jitters.

But it would be absurd to be sanguine. Three big risks still loom.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  The PRA have forced all the banks to do this, so they have, in theory, more money to lend.

What da £$@ is their authority got to do with anything that's happening in Hong Kong? You do realise Hong Kong does not belong to the UK anymore? You do realise what happens to HSBS if the Hong Kong dollar peg is broken with the US dollar?

Comment

What da £$@ is their authority got to do with anything that's happening in Hong Kong? You do realise Hong Kong does not belong to the UK anymore? You do realise what happens to HSBS if the Hong Kong dollar peg is broken with the US dollar?
                    I was answering your question with regards to the UK airline industry, vs. The UK banking industry, the "clue" is in the highlighted part of your quoted post.

Hong Kong does not belong to the UK, that is indeed correct, but I believe HSBC does, please correct me if I'm wrong .

From your post:-

HSBC’s Hong Kong profits actually grew in the third quarter.
                    And your point is

Previously I noticed that you were looking at a 3-4 year old blog post to illustrate why they going to fold now.

The world is full of Internet "experts", unfortunately you are just proving to be another one .
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      You are comparing Apples and Cucumbers and expecting to get a match

Because airlines haven't been told to.

Yup exactly. And the EU told insurers last week to stop paying out dividends, for the same reason. UK insurers will surely follow in the next week or 2. Doesn't mean they are in trouble. It makes sense in this climate to be defensive and prepare for a downturn if needed. Shareholders need to understand this.

Comment

Working...
                      X