• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The other thing to bear in mind is that there may be a dose of inflation so your cash might not survive either.
    My money is on a strong dose of deflation first. Supply chains have been screwed up because of this virus with Brexit torpedoing any surviving entrails by the year's end. It'll be a wonderful time for the cash rich to scope up abandoned assets.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      My money is on a strong dose of deflation first. Supply chains have been screwed up because of this virus with Brexit torpedoing any surviving entrails by the year's end. It'll be a wonderful time for the cash rich to scope up abandoned assets.
      Unless you buy Centrica, of course.

Comment

I would be very wary of this surge in stock markets, maybe some of you have made some money over the last few weeks. They seem to be on a very bullish trajectory, talk of back to normal, lockdown eased, what was all the fuss about, back to 20% gains pa etc.

HOWEVER, beyond the funny money propping it all up lies the true economy.

Coronavirus: British Airways to cut up to 12,000 jobs - BBC News
        Subscribe to read | Financial Times
        WTTC estimates over 100m job losses in travel - Cruise Trade News
        HSBC profits slashed amid coronavirus but thousands of job cuts put on ice | Edinburgh News

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I would be very wary of this surge in stock markets, maybe some of you have made some money over the last few weeks. They seem to be on a very bullish trajectory, talk of back to normal, lockdown eased, what was all the fuss about, back to 20% gains pa etc.

HOWEVER, beyond the funny money propping it all up lies the true economy.

Coronavirus: British Airways to cut up to 12,000 jobs - BBC News
          Subscribe to read | Financial Times
          WTTC estimates over 100m job losses in travel - Cruise Trade News
          HSBC profits slashed amid coronavirus but thousands of job cuts put on ice | Edinburgh News
          Also, some evidence from Germany that the reproduction rate is approaching 1.0 since lockdown measures have been eased, which is a bad sign.

The markets are way ahead of the real economy, I agree. But they have been for years now...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Also, some evidence from Germany that the reproduction rate is approaching 1.0 since lockdown measures have been eased, which is a bad sign.

The markets are way ahead of the real economy, I agree. But they have been for years now...
            Wow so in the time since Germany came out of lockdown their birth rate has plummeted? That's an achievement even the Chinese couldn't realise so quickly with their one child policy.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Wow so in the time since Germany came out of lockdown their birth rate has plummeted? That's an achievement even the Chinese couldn't realise so quickly with their one child policy.
              give it another 8 months or so, after all that free time on their hands <and other bits>

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                I expect the current mantra of "stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" will become "spend, spend, spend" though not so blatantly.
                Private debt is at an all time UK high... the notion that people are going to be able to spend their way out of anything for the next few years seems unlikely to me.

There was once talk of writing off certain types of personal debt but I'm really against that unless it's the awful types with the compound interest; reducing it to a manageable sum (original sum plus a very small interest amount) does seem fair. Remember Wonga? I'm so glad they are gone, typical US style predatory loan-shark capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The universal one child policy was repealed in China some time ago.

In the past if your parents both had no siblings you were entitled to have two children, as long as your birth Hukou wasn't Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    What is the alternative to stocks?

The money has to go somewhere, and even though dividends have been cut, there are still dividends.

I've made more this month in my stocks and shares ISAs than I've earned working. What's not to like?
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      I've made more this month in my stocks and shares ISAs than I've earned working. What's not to like?
                      Being unemployed.

Comment

Working...
                      X