• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by genius View Post
    My plan and it seems totally flawless and risk free to me, as I'm up 41% on MCL and a few others, is a stop loss set at my buy in price. 2 outcomes:

I buy lambo
    I finish with what I started with

I'm OK with either
    You might want to look more carefully at what a stop loss means. It simply determines the price at which a market order is entered. It doesn't prevent "losses".

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      most of the day-trader types aren't looking for that and most of them lose. Even scootie can beat the market sometimes though - infinite monkey theorem. The best approach is to continue the same trading strategy through bad times and good, adding incrementally, .
      The returns on the previous trades I've taken below. Trading level: Infinite monkey!

One must have a strategy and practice it consistently. Be without or be in total control of your emotions - meditate, do what you must to control it and above all... be patient.

136%
      128%
      168%
      267%
      151%
      248%
      128%
      119%
      117%
      144%
      112%
      135%
      112%
      168%
      212%
      127%
      135%
      127%
      205%
      107%
      157%
      116%
      119%
      244%
      Last edited by scooterscot; 29 April 2020, 21:11.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You might want to look more carefully at what a stop loss means. It simply determines the price at which a market order is entered. It doesn't prevent "losses".
        It'll all be fine, chill.

Comment

Some smashing returns on the funds this week but it all feels wrong, like we're in for a massive fall

Part of me wants to yank it all out now but of course the market will do the opposite

Comment

I wouldn't really call those trading strategies, rather hindsight after you've headbutted in and were either lucky or unlucky over some timeframe

The problem with "timing" the market is that you can't, not consistently. Diving in when everyone is screaming Armageddon doesn't really work unless you're prepared to hold for years; most of the day-trader types aren't looking for that and most of them lose. Even scootie can beat the market sometimes though - infinite monkey theorem. The best approach is to continue the same trading strategy through bad times and good, adding incrementally, not hoping to "buy low" and "sell high". Unless you're just doing it for fun, like the horses, which is fine, of course.
            You're probably right I've just been lucky. Got lucky again this time I guess.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 April 2020, 22:48.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You're probably right I've just been lucky. Got lucky again this time I guess.

Yup. It's happened to me, many times (including this month). But I see it for what it is - a bit of fun. Mostly, I just add continuously, regardless of levels. If you're not doing that, then you've lost out on a lot of QE-to-the-moon over the last 10 years (FTSE notwithstanding), esp. after dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                The returns on the previous trades I've taken below.
                Scootie, didn't we demonstrate quite recently (for the Nth time) that you can neither count nor keep your story straight?

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
                  It'll all be fine, chill.
                  I'm relaxed, it's your money.

Comment

Scootie, didn't we demonstrate quite recently (for the Nth time) that you can neither count nor keep your story straight?
                    Or make an expense claim.

Comment

Yup. It's happened to me, many times (including this month). But I see it for what it is - a bit of fun. Mostly, I just add continuously, regardless of levels. If you're not doing that, then you've lost out on a lot of QE-to-the-moon over the last 10 years (FTSE notwithstanding), esp. after dividends.
                      Indeed a small profit is also good.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X