• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forum title needs updating. Swap the word 'crash' to 'rigged'.

I think the Fed global central banks are on a mission to prop up the markets no matter what. It's too big to let it fail:

“The richest 1 per cent of Americans now account for more than half the value of equities owned by US households, according to Goldman Sachs. Since 1990, the wealthiest have bought a net $1.2tn in company stakes, while the rest of the population has sold more than $1tn.

Three decades ago, ownership was also lopsided, but the top percentage point of Americans by wealth only controlled 46 per cent of all US equities held by households. By the end of September 2019, that proportion had hit a record 56 per cent, amounting to $21.4tn, according to the investment bank’s calculations. That includes both public stock and ownership stakes in private companies.”

So if the market crashes so does consumption and bye bye any hope of a V, W or U shaped recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Could we get back on to the stock market crashing please? Because, for the time being, it does not seem to have received the message.
      It's bloody annoying - my investments are up 16% so far this year. I was promised losses ..... come on world stock markets, get it right.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Could we get back on to the stock market crashing please? Because, for the time being, it does not seem to have received the message.

"Made in Taiwan" ring a bell? If China goes in the markets will react, and not in a good way. Pardon for stating the obvious, but the majority of the world's goods are made in the far east. That is why I'm watching with interest developments in Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. Now many here think it is okay to let China do what it wants, find it's way... I'm not part of that camp and they're fast inviting the US to open a can of whoop-ass on them.

Already I circled in blue below when the UK FTSE 100 index can except a recovery, late 2024. Which is not so bad considering the last 10 years of central bank madness. -30% without a effort. Smart money is waiting to dump on all those retail investors thinking they are buying the dip.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Someone in government has been reading my posts...

UK could offer 'path to citizenship' for Hong Kong's British passport holders

The UK could offer British National (Overseas) passport holders in Hong Kong a path to UK citizenship if China does not suspend plans for a security law in the territory, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab says.

It comes after China's parliament backed proposal that would make it a crime to undermine Beijing's authority.

There are fears the legislation could end Hong Kong's unique status.

China said it reserved the right to take "countermeasures" against the UK.

Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said the UK and China had agreed that holders of British National (Overseas) - or BNO - passport should not enjoy UK residency.

"All such BNO passport holders are Chinese nationals and if the UK insists on changing this practice it will not only violate its own stance but also international law," he added.

There are 300,000 BNO passport holders in Hong Kong who have the right to visit the UK for up to six months without a visa.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Sorry to burst your bubble but this is old news.

Comment

Another factor for the meteoric rise of US stock market is central bank of switzerland is printing money and buying US stocks with it to suppress swiss franc. At the last count it was $100 billion. Not sure if other central banks are doing it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Sorry to burst your bubble but this is old news.
                He does like to post something that has already happened, and then link to what had happened a day or so previously, and claim he called it. I love the fact he does it so frequently and has no shame. It's a skill
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Stockmarket has gone seriously loopy. Should I now sell the lot

Even Centrica is doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Stockmarket has gone seriously loopy. Should I now sell the lot

Even Centrica is doing well.
                    What wouldn't pooper do?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      What wouldn't pooper do?
                      That's why I'm asking. I think he'll hedge a bit and throw a few graphs around.

Comment

Working...
                      X