• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Stockmarket has gone seriously loopy. Should I now sell the lot

Even Centrica is doing well.
    Markets can only ever go up. The bull is dead.

Long live the bull.

Comment

depends if its a V shape recovery or W shaped or any other alphabet

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Hong Kong dollar... give it another year before it is gone forever.
        Why, have you just invested in it?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Made a tidy profit in recent weeks.

The connection between the markets and the real economy has been FUBARed for some time. Looks like that hasn't changed and may even double down. It's stupid, but explicable. Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and accept the inevitable, even if you didn't get in at the bottom.

I feel bad for scootie though*.

*sorry, not sorry

Comment

We're not far off from being able to say, categorically, that the Nasdaq and S&P 500 have made a V shaped recovery.

NYSE and FTSE not quite there, but looking very V-ey, it's not looking good for the perma-bears.

Comment

Comment

stock market crash

Stockmarket has gone seriously loopy. Should I now sell the lot [emoji782]

Yeah. Once places start opening on 15/6, and government furlough pay starts going down, I think reality will come back to the market. The government paying people’s wages is inflating stocks. For me, 15/6 is my sell point for companies hit directly by Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Last edited by caffeine man; 3 June 2020, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

The connection between the markets and the real economy has been FUBARed for some time. Looks like that hasn't changed and may even double down. It's stupid, but explicable. Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and accept the inevitable, even if you didn't get in at the bottom.

I feel bad for scootie though*.

*sorry, not sorry
                  I sold up my shares ISA and converted to cash a few years ago as thought the market was peeking - my ISAs have been in cash for the past few years earning not much. Due to the virus I switched all my cash ISAs (and threw in £20k at end of March, and another £20k early April) in Shares ISA and currently up 22% since then. If I cashed all this in now, and sat on it for 10 years, I'd be better off than had i left it all in cash ISA.

And the market, in the long term, still has more to go. Was 5400 the bottom? Probably. Are we at the top now? Probably not. Will the markets continue to see-saw over the next few years? Almost certainly. But, long term, stocks and shares will go up.

If you have the patience to sit in, then risk is much lower. If you're looking to retire (or need the cash) within a couple of years then stocks and shares may be too volatile currently.

But ... 22% in 2 months Tax free
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

As long as you make investments with the knowledge that the US will do whatever it takes to keep the USD as the FIAT currency of choice for the world, it's not too difficult to make decisions.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      And the market, in the long term, still has more to go. Was 5400 the bottom? Probably. Are we at the top now? Probably not. Will the markets continue to see-saw over the next few years? Almost certainly. But, long term, stocks and shares will go up.
                      The risk is that 'the market' and the economy has been rescued by the central banks a number of times by increasingly bending the rules and it's priced now in the belief that they can keep pulling it off. But at some stage that belief might break and we'll all be saying why didn't we see that coming. A few perma bear experts will emerge when their prediction finally comes true. It's a game of chicken.

Comment

Working...
                      X