• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You said the stock market has been relatively stable. You know that's not true, so I called you out. The stock market has been reacting to the FED printing like a junkie on free crack.

BP, which a number of UK pensions depend fell almost 60% since the start of the year. Is that what you call stable?

A few month ago I recall saying for the FTSE to drop that low we'd have to see some major names disappearing off UK plc. Suggested BP, their debts put them on a knife edge, was laughed out the room. HSBC I'm watching you...

The CEO said they were aiming for a carbon neural business by 2050, I'll wager they'll achieve that by 2021
    You're confusing yourself. To try and make things easy for you, let's take it step by step.

2 years ago you called a market crash. Let's take this to mean a stock market crash as this is what we all generally know as 'market'. You called this, according to this thread, Feb 2018. Let's further make this simple for you and assume you're referring to the market position at the end of 2017 ....

FTSE 100 Dec 2017 = 7142
    FTSE 100 Dec 2018 = 7687
    FTSE 100 Dec 2019 = 7644

So, by my reckoning, from you calling the crash until the pandemic hit and world economies were closed down, the market was stable and growing slowly. This is exactly as I said. If this confuses you, put these 3 numbers into Excel and draw a graph - you'll see the little line going upwards

No one has suggested the markets have been stable since January, that's a narrative you've made up. To help you, this is my exact quote:

You do understand that the pandemic closed down economies, and this has had an impact on markets. Prior to the pandemic the markets were stable
    Then, the pandemic hit along with the black swan of world leaders closing down their economies (or at least major sectors of their economies).

Surprise, surprise, this had an impact on stock markets and they dropped like a stone down to 5400 for FTSE100.

For the record ... you didn't call this prior to the drop although you did retrospectively claim you called it. What you did call though was the FTSE would crash to 3200, and the only way was down. Contrary to this the FTSE 100 has climbed to where it is today which is 6100.

As for the likes of BP, well fella, is it a surprise that a company that is so dependent upon transport has been so negatively hit by the massive reduction of global transport. It would have been more surprising had their stock not dropped. There will, of course, be other companies who's stock has strengthened despite the current global issues - i can't be bothered to look so I'll leave that to you

The Fed numbers you talk about have all been going on since the pandemic and economic lockdown. Had Cov19 not had an impact, the Fed actions (and BoE) would not have happened.

In summary ... you're a prize idiot
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      You're confusing yourself. To try and make things easy for you, let's take it step by step.

2 years ago you called a market crash. Let's take this to mean a stock market crash as this is what we all generally know as 'market'. You called this, according to this thread, Feb 2018. Let's further make this simple for you and assume you're referring to the market position at the end of 2017 ....

FTSE 100 Dec 2017 = 7142
      FTSE 100 Dec 2018 = 7687
      FTSE 100 Dec 2019 = 7644

This thread start on February, not the preferred date you selected to suit your numbers. What are you like?

FTSE 100 Feb 2018 = 7340

There you go, three years of topping out. Called it, got it, admit it. If you invested in the stock market back then you'd be worse off today.

Now we're just about to enjoy the second part of the crash, here in July / August.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        This thread start on February, not the preferred date you selected to suit your numbers. What are you like?

FTSE 100 Feb 2018 = 7340

There you go, three years of topping out. Called it, got it, admit it. If you invested in the stock market back then you'd be worse off today.

Now we're just about to enjoy the second part of the crash, here in July / August.
        FFS, you are dumber than I thought. Let's use 7340 then ... this is still lower than Dec 2018 and Dec 2019, so the market was still increasing over the period that you called a crash.

The ONLY ... let's repeat that ... the ONLY reason we have had a stock market drop is because of the Cov19 issues. No other reason.

I see now you have moved your goal posts from a "June / early July" crash to a "July / August" crash. Yep, same old Spooty. Keep changing the date until something happens that you can claim you called

Comment

Let's not forget the FTSE's are high dividend - lots of divi chasers go there.

A rough bit of napkin math I did, assuming 4.15% yearly DIV:

£1000*1.0415^3 = 1129.74 (this is likely conservative due to some appreciation in the period)

From 7000 to current value I get a asset depreciation of 13%. Remarkably, as it stands the £1129 is worth £999.77 with asset depreciation - not too shabby given a global pandemic.

Comment

FFS, you are dumber than I thought. Let's use 7340 then ... this is still lower than Dec 2018 and Dec 2019, so the market was still increasing over the period that you called a crash.

The ONLY ... let's repeat that ... the ONLY reason we have had a stock market drop is because of the Cov19 issues. No other reason.

I see now you have moved your goal posts from a "June / early July" crash to a "July / August" crash. Yep, same old Spooty. Keep changing the date until something happens that you can claim you called
            Consider the counterfactual scenario. What would the markets have done if Covid had not appeared. I'm sure we would all love to hear pooper's opinion and reasoning.

Comment

This thread was over a long time ago, hijacked by the scooter ego show. We're as bad as him at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Consider the counterfactual scenario. What would the markets have done if Covid had not appeared. I'm sure we would all love to hear pooper's opinion and reasoning.
                Scooter confirmed the market crash has nothing to do with covid, so your point is mute.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  This thread was over a long time ago, hijacked by the scooter ego show. We're as bad as him at this point.
                  It's just at this stage.

Comment

Scooter confirmed the market crash has nothing to do with covid, so your point is mute.
                    I want to hear his reasoning as to why the markets would be in the same position as they are now in the absence of Covid.

Comment

I know, but I'm doing some pretty complex stuff at work and need a break every now and then ..... correcting Scooty is a simple job

Comment

Working...
                      X