• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else looking at their portfolio with the wave of redundencies being announced post budget?

Looks like this mini bubble could be about to pop and I see limited options to drive share prices or dividends up at the moment.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

no no - there's no popping here. Din't you hear? It can only go up. Profits for everyone!

The support line (orange callout) became confirmed resistance a few days back. Fingers crossed for a super Friday so I can collect my winnings, I mean profit

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        Anyone else looking at their portfolio with the wave of redundencies being announced post budget?

Looks like this mini bubble could be about to pop and I see limited options to drive share prices or dividends up at the moment.
        Cutting costs = increased profits

Re: boots, they've been talking about closing down stores for over a year so no real surprises there. In central London every other store feels like it's a Boots so they do need to close a few. Also, they bought out D&A and took over their opticians a few years ago so again, consolidation was always going to happen.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Remember earlier in this thread I called HSBC's days are numbered and that two things would need to happen before the nail was driven home.

One being the peg of the Hong Kong dollar - which is now showing increasing signs that a collapse may be imminent if the US sanctions are followed through. No one a year ago would have believed the US would be placing sanctions on Hong Kong. You'd be have been sent to the funny farm.

Then there's HSBC's exposure to debt in HK. ~40% of the books are leveraged to the eyeballs on that tiny island.

If it goes belly up, will the UK taxpayer coming riding along to save canary wharf from collapse?! Or will they let it collapse taking down the city with it? Exciting times.

My put might just deliver

Banks in Hong Kong audit clients for exposure to US sanctions

US and European banks in Hong Kong are conducting emergency audits of their clients to identify Chinese and Hong Kong officials and corporates that could face US sanctions over a new national security law.

Donald Trump, US president, is expected to sign into law as early as next week the Hong Kong autonomy act. The legislation gives the administration the power to impose sweeping sanctions on officials accused of undermining Hong Kong’s semi-autonomous status, as well as banks and state entities that do “significant transactions” with them.

At least two large international banks in Hong Kong were studying which of their clients and partners might be exposed to sanctions under the act and with which they might have to terminate their business relationships, people familiar with the matter told the Financial Times.

A person at one of the banks said that cutting off the clients could hit revenues from Chinese banks and the country’s state-owned enterprises, but that could not be helped. “If they are sanctioned [we] can’t touch them,” the person said.

Foreign banks such as HSBC, Standard Chartered and Citibank have retail outlets in Hong Kong, while global investment banks JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, UBS and others have offices in the Asian financial hub.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So which recovery is the trend setting (Scooty we need graphs!)

FTSE 100 pares its losses as British Retail Consortium reports a June bounce in shopping activity

So is the 'recovery' a blip, an L, an U, an V or a dead cat bounce before a winter of discontent with 2nd lock-down and Brexit.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

So which recovery is the trend setting (Scooty we need graphs!)

FTSE 100 pares its losses as British Retail Consortium reports a June bounce in shopping activity

So is the 'recovery' a blip, an L, an U, an V or a dead cat bounce before a winter of discontent with 2nd lock-down and Brexit.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

We've got the BoE printer defensive shield - Brrrrrr - nothing can stop the madness. The only way is up. Isn't that the truth you're always telling me?

Cat: What, am I the only sane one here? Why don't we drop the defensive shields?

Kryten: A superlative suggestion, sir, with just two minor flaws. One: we don't have any defensive shields. And two: we don't have any defensive shields. Now I realise that, technically speaking, that's only one flaw; but I thought it was such a big one, it was worth mentioning twice.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  We've got the BoE printer defensive shield - Brrrrrr - nothing can stop the madness. The only way is up. Isn't that the truth you're always telling me?

Cat: What, am I the only sane one here? Why don't we drop the defensive shields?

Kryten: A superlative suggestion, sir, with just two minor flaws. One: we don't have any defensive shields. And two: we don't have any defensive shields. Now I realise that, technically speaking, that's only one flaw; but I thought it was such a big one, it was worth mentioning twice.
                  To many vested interests and lack of alternatives to put cash. Decent interest rates would soon put a stop to this nonsense.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

If cash is your thing, hold only GBP until December 31st 11:59pm. Switch to Euro a minute later

GBP will probably do quite well up and until the Autumn.

Comment

Are we ready for the main event?

S&P 500 - double Bearish engulfing candle following a rally. Bad.

UK FTSE 100 - not even bothering to analyse anymore, it's the USA's bi!ch now. Whatever happens across the pond UK stocks will follow like a good little puppy.

Dow Jones... bearish engulfing clustering. Bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X