• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centrica "spiked"

You don't even realise they just released their 2020 results. They are flogging their US assets to reduce debt, and the market reacted.

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/st...66979411812352

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I don't get out of bed for 24%

50% - Maybe...

What you forget is the opportunity cost of all the time you spend trading, compared to the majority of us on here.

You presumably spend most of your day doing TA, analysing markets etc and you (claim) to earn an income from that. You risk capital (although you never make any losses ). From this you make an undisclosed amount each month - with Centrica you're about 50% up, over 3 months on a £10k investment. So, you've earned roughly £5k over 3 months.

In the same time as a full time contractor I would have earned (risk free) about £40k (pre tax) from selling my skills, plus on top of that I've earned over £20k (tax free as via my ISA) but with zero time or effort.

A simple cost benefit analysis confirms that I am better served selling my skills for my day rate, and saving spare cash in my S&S ISA compared to what you return via trading.

Like I say, most on here will be in the same/similar vote which is why you don't impress us with your claims. You might be making a return, but it's small fry compared to what we sell our skills out for. You're on the wrong forum if you want praise
      Last edited by Whorty; 24 July 2020, 08:18.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Centrica "spiked"

You don't even realise they just released their 2020 results. They are flogging their US assets to reduce debt, and the market reacted.

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/st...66979411812352

So my chart was right? Go'an say it..
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          What you forget is the opportunity cost of all the time you spend trading, compared to the majority of us on here.

You presumably spend most of your day doing cUK analysing markets etc and you (claim) to earn an income from that. You risk capital (although you never make any losses ). From this you make an undisclosed amount each month - with Centrica you're about 50% up, over 3 months on a £10k investment. So, you've earned roughly £5k over 3 months.

In the same time as a full time contractor I would have earned (risk free) about £40k (pre tax) from selling my skills, plus on top of that I've earned over £20k (tax free as via my ISA) but with zero time or effort.

A simple cost benefit analysis confirms that I am better served selling my skills for my day rate, and saving spare cash in my S&S ISA compared to what you return via trading.

Like I say, most on here will be in the same/similar vote which is why you don't impress us with your claims. You might be making a return, but it's small fry compared to what we sell our skills out for. You're on the wrong forum if you want praise

The majority

FTFY

Green eyed monster is hungry.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Really?

Comment

Yes it was right.

I don't know why I was concerned about your fate.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

FTFY

Green eyed monster is hungry.
                Nope, not in the slightest. Why would I be jealous of someone less successful than me?

I can sell my skills for so much more than I would make trading, and with zero capital risk. You clearly don't have skills to sell at a premium, and so have to employ a risky strategy to make a living. Not something I'm jealous of.
                Last edited by Whorty; 24 July 2020, 08:24.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Nope, not in the slightest. Why would I be jealous of someone less successful than me?

I can sell my skills for so much more than I would make trading, and with zero capital risk. You clearly don't have skills to sell at a premium, and so have to employ a risky strategy to make a living. Not something I'm jealous of.
                  I made a bung on COPL, EUA and GGP in the past 3 weeks.

It would be vulgar to say just how much but I hasten to add that my capital gains is f*cked if I withdraw the cash!

Anyway, DYOR and YMMV.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I did not say you are less successful. You're putting words in my mouth which you do so well.

We're all amazing - but if you don't recognise success, how can one achieve it? Success means something different to everyone, for some its money, others time with family and so on..

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Really?
                      Yes really - I'd not have made the trade otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X