• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Yes really - I'd not have made the trade otherwise.
    But your chart was wrong with the crypto short?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      I made a bung on COPL, EUA and GGP in the past 3 weeks.

It would be vulgar to say just how much but I hasten to add that my capital gains is f*cked if I withdraw the cash!

Anyway, DYOR and YMMV.
      Presumably though during the course of a year you earn significantly more selling your skills than trading? And the trading is a side line? Maybe not ... for me I know I'm always going to earn shoot loads more as a contractor than I ever could trading - even if I was willing to risk all my 'cash' (i.e. all that not tied up in my main house), I'd have to return over 20% every year just to match what I can earn as a contractor but, due to the capital loss risk I'd need to earn much more than 20% ..... no amount of Scooty graphs would ever convince me to do that

But then I'm risk averse; always have been. Never been a gambler, probably the result of my maths and statistics education and accounting profession
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I did not say you are less successful. You're putting words in my mouth which you do so well.

We're all amazing - but if you don't recognise success, how can one achieve it? Success means something different to everyone, for some its money, others time with family and so on..
        If you're not implying any jealousy would be based on you being more successful, then why would you think I'm jealous of you? It's certainly not because of your wit and intellect Although, I must admit, you do produce a cracking graph

Edit: if I'm honest I'm actually (not so now) secretly glad that Centrica has gone up for you. I am genuinely concerned for you so if you have really got the centrica shares then big kudos and hope you cash in the profit
        Last edited by Whorty; 24 July 2020, 09:11.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          But your chart was wrong with the crypto short?
          And the massive Dow put.

There's plenty - although even now I'm questioning the wisdom playing in the area given the amount of volatility we're about to experience. My collateral is eroding on my put, I reckon in 4-6 months it'll all be gone if the market doesn't go belly up before then. After this I'll stick with the spot markets, it is what I have the most experience in.
          I'll not lie, if the trade goes sour it'll pinch - could have bought a BTL instead and stressed myself out with managing tenants
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            I am genuinely concerned for you
            I was too but not any more.

I just hope he's only posting here where his influence is marginal. Imagine if he was on a forum where people were more impressionable.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Ludic fallacy - Wikipedia

From Taleb and his book: The Black Swan.

Comment

Presumably though during the course of a year you earn significantly more selling your skills than trading? And the trading is a side line? Maybe not ... for me I know I'm always going to earn shoot loads more as a contractor than I ever could trading - even if I was willing to risk all my 'cash' (i.e. all that not tied up in my main house), I'd have to return over 20% every year just to match what I can earn as a contractor but, due to the capital loss risk I'd need to earn much more than 20% ..... no amount of Scooty graphs would ever convince me to do that

But then I'm risk averse; always have been. Never been a gambler, probably the result of my maths and statistics education and accounting profession
                The trading is a hobby. I don't try and kid myself into thinking that I would want to go full "Naked Trader".
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Short Lambos and buy gold?

Comment

I'm not actually a day / even weekly trader. I've somehow got everyone to think I am. But really I'm not, yes I execute swing trades, but they are normally weeks apart.

"I'd have to return 20% every year just to match" Swing trader does not think about the portfolio size, as long as the percentages are good / safe / risk measured.

I started with a portfolio in 2017 with only 4 figures. By now I've exceeded my contractor income easily but that does not even enter my mind much to be honest. Rather I enjoy what I'm doing, like finding your calling.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      And the massive Dow put.

It remains open, and has bled some. I'm not concerned. I can't time the market, no one can. But try getting out the door at the same time as everyone else, that's a different matter.

The Crypto short remains open also. Thinking of opening another...
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X