• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Forget Lambos!

HODL for Teslas!

We are all going to be rich!

This time next year Rodders!

I got an email from my dealer explicitly advising me to sell a fund overly exposed to Tesla, even though I'm not on a package including single stock advice.

I don't my money anywhere near Elon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      But, and i don't want to p1ss on your parade, based on your original stake of c.10k, this is only 5k 'income'. Less than half of what most contractors on here earn each month. Great as a side line like Ziggy is doing in his hobby, but as a main income you need to earn twice this, each month, to match a typical UK IT contractor.

So yes, a nice profit as a side line, but nowhere near enough as a main income (and still £15k less than I have made in that same period via my ISA )
      I'd earn half the amount I do for 2 hours work a day

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Centrica

I can't deny, scoots did pick well with Centrica. It was the 9th best performing stock in the FTSE-250 over the past 3 months.

However, as you can see in the 3-month chart, most of that out-performance came in the past week since they announced the sale of Direct Energy on 24 July. If it hadn't been for that uplift, it would have been an average performing stock.

http://companyresearch.digitallook.c....cgi?csi=10029

So, could scoots see that in the chart 3 months ago, or did he just get lucky?
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 29 July 2020, 06:24.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          I can't deny, scoots did pick well with Centrica. It was the 9th best performing stock in the FTSE-250 over the past 3 months.

However, as you can see in the 3-month chart, most of that out-performance came in the past week since they announced the sale of Direct Energy on 24 July. If it hadn't been for that uplift, it would have been an average performing stock.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              But, and i don't want to p1ss on your parade, based on your original stake of c.10k, this is only 5k 'income'. Less than half of what most contractors on here earn each month. Great as a side line like Ziggy is doing in his hobby, but as a main income you need to earn twice this, each month, to match a typical UK IT contractor.
              Depending on the strength of the signal I may increase the original investment, however I must measure risk with the probability of reward, it is just reckless otherwise.

I made two separate purchases. The first above the other a little larger @ 33.

For the record I'm selling today as the probability of some downside is increasing. 50% gain locked in.

That's how it's done people, buy low - sell high.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I actually share scoot's sentiment about the stock market. Fine if you're a trader, but there's no way I'd buy & hold US stocks.

The UK stock market does not seem over-extended but, if the US tanks, it will drag stock markets everywhere down with it.

My plan is to ride the gold bull run for as long as it lasts. When the gold bull ends, that might be time to switch back into stocks.
                Out of interest, are you talking about paper gold?

During the last two overbought Gold price highs there was something that prevented many retail investors from selling their paper gold - just saying. You might want to learn about that sooner than later rather than timing the top.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 29 July 2020, 09:02.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  AMD is up 80% from the covid collapse.

Have you taken profits?

Comment

I guess that a compliment?!

I had absolute no interest in the business. I just picked something that was severely oversold, had a functioning business case, and showed divergence between price action and strength. The probability of upside in price action was now much stronger than the risk of loss. That's what I do, balance probabilities.

As for timing of last week's news - no chart see's that sort of stuff. There's an idea that if you were out of the stock market for 30-days of the last ten you'd have missed out on the huge percentage gains.

Comment

Hey Biff - Its 'Even a broken clock is right twice a day'

Comment

Working...
                      X