• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Are you good at it? Why are you not living in Monaco already?

Using your strategy you could have traded on a small leverage of 3x for a sell Friday high buy the Monday low of around for a 5% difference. In 40 weeks £1000 becomes £23k - you're quids in!

Well done!
    Where does the £23K come from in this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
      Where does the £23K come from in this scenario?
      Reinvest last weekend's gains into the next on a leveraged position. 3% market swing from Friday high to Monday low (5% last weekend), take a 3x leveraged position on any number of platforms out there. Cash out with £28k 40 weeks later having only started with £1k.

Easy money according to Whorty.

week 1 1,000 9%
      week 2 1,090 9%
      week 3 1,188 9%
      week 4 1,295 9%
      week 5 1,412 9%
      week 6 1,539 9%
      week 7 1,677 9%
      week 8 1,828 9%
      week 9 1,993 9%
      week 10 2,172 9%
      week 11 2,367 9%
      week 12 2,580 9%
      week 13 2,813 9%
      week 14 3,066 9%
      week 15 3,342 9%
      week 16 3,642 9%
      week 17 3,970 9%
      week 18 4,328 9%
      week 19 4,717 9%
      week 20 5,142 9%
      week 21 5,604 9%
      week 22 6,109 9%
      week 23 6,659 9%
      week 24 7,258 9%
      week 25 7,911 9%
      week 26 8,623 9%
      week 27 9,399 9%
      week 28 10,245 9%
      week 29 11,167 9%
      week 30 12,172 9%
      week 31 13,268 9%
      week 32 14,462 9%
      week 33 15,763 9%
      week 34 17,182 9%
      week 35 18,728 9%
      week 36 20,414 9%
      week 37 22,251 9%
      week 38 24,254 9%
      week 39 26,437 9%
      week 40 28,816 9%
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

23K > 28K is only a ~20% discrepancy this time, you're getting better with your abacus.

Comment

Or have I just secured a 300% profit since the lows of 2009?
          Ok, tell us, have you? Did you?

I'm betting the real answer is no.

Comment

I don't have a crystal ball. The correction began 2018 that much is clear. And now we have a 2-year bearish divergence, that's insane - this downtrend is going to be years in the making. Japan 1988 style. Who know's where the top is. But before you say I'd have missed out on amazing gains, consider this... Selling in 2018, I've currently missed out on a 22% gain. Ouch right? Or have I just secured a 300% profit since the lows of 2009? This is trading, making a profit and keeping it. The majority of folks are unable to do this, it's staggering.

The FTSE 100 has now been trading under the 21-day following a death cross (bear market) back in February - there's no upward opportunity until we enter a bull market.

Yes you can make money in a bear market, very difficult, but possible (as I did with my CNA trade) but you've got to ACT when conditions favour you. Don't let emotions get the better of you. I've been asking myself why I bought back in, pure bravado - just luck I reassessed that and got out.
            I kind of agree with you. Now does not feel like the time to be loading up on the US stock market as a long term buy and hold. I wouldn't short it though because, who knows, maybe it will go way higher.

I'm not being funny or anything but I still don't get how you could be so confident, without a crystal ball, to stick $250k on a put.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Are you good at it? Why are you not living in Monaco already?

Using your strategy you could have traded on a small leverage of 3x for a sell Friday high buy the Monday low of around for a 5% difference. In 40 weeks £1000 becomes £23k - you're quids in!

Well done!
              Put £1000 on black every time.

In 5 mins you have £1m

Better chance inventing a time machine and going back in time to bet on sports events ...

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Ok, tell us, have you? Did you?

I'm betting the real answer is no.

It is public record - cashed in my equities back in late 2018 - it is in this very thread. Around the same time I sold my uk airbnb (dodged a bullet big time).

Search box is above, can't be ar$ed myself.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  You can probably set that as a default tag on your payments, scootie.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I'm not being funny or anything but I still don't get how you could be so confident, without a crystal ball, to stick $250k on a put.
                    Not offended - polite disagreement always welcomed.

Weighing what is possible against what is probable is like counting cards at the poker table, only I get to see everyone's hand using the charts.

I opened the Put at the same time the 2nd to last candle got printed at the start of July on this 3-month chart below. It was one of a few indicators I used, the Mrs and I discussed and went with it. The blue line is the 12 year moving average, you close under here.... you then automatically know the next couple of years are going to be absolutely awful. Does not matter the market, gold (middle chart) Vodefone (bottom chart) by way of example.

When the FTSE closed under that 12-year moving average I knew something was proper up. The difficult part of this is knowing when to open, it is by no means easy - we're cool until November before it gets irritating.

Here it is on Gold

Here is Vodafone, closing under the 12-year

Last edited by scooterscot; 7 September 2020, 17:30.

Comment

Reinvest last weekend's gains into the next on a leveraged position. 3% market swing from Friday high to Monday low (5% last weekend), take a 3x leveraged position on any number of platforms out there. Cash out with £28k 40 weeks later having only started with £1k.

Easy money according to Whorty.
                      I never said it was easy money ... as always that's all in your head. You're the one coming up with convoluted ways to make money, I'm simply feeding in to my FTSE tracker fund on the day I see it dropping. This is my long term saving pot, 10-20 years, nothing more. Anything more than 1% more than inflation is fine by me

You're the one trying to make a living and income out of gambling on the stock markets etc.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X