• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Or, like myself, instead of stop losses only trade with 5% of your portfolio in any one trade.
    £5,000,000 portfolio and you hang around on here?

Comment

Or, like myself, instead of stop losses only trade with 5% of your portfolio in any one trade.
      so 250k was 5% of your portfolio ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

It is imaginary!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You help me remember how bitter I used to be.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think he has half a mill scooty coins.

Comment

You help me remember how bitter I used to be.
              Very emotional, what makes you think I'm in any way bitter? I'm just thinking, if I was sitting on £5mil I'd probably hang up my CUK trolling and spend my days attending bunga bunga parties.

Comment

Very emotional, what makes you think I'm in any way bitter? I'm just thinking, if I was sitting on £5mil I'd probably hang up my CUK trolling and spend my days attending bunga bunga parties.

Silvio gets you hot ???
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

He's got a £5m portfolio, yet got very emotional and excited by making a couple of grand on Centrica

Yeah, we believe you Scooty
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    He's got a £5m portfolio, yet got very emotional and excited by making a couple of grand on Centrica
                    Fortunes are made from small moves not big big bets. Unless you're a Softbank CEO of course.

The wider risks in SoftBank’s US tech bet

There are few business people who profess to have a plan for the next three years, let alone the next 300. Masayoshi Son, the Japanese entrepreneur behind SoftBank, wants his company to last that long, a goal that is meant to underpin the investments made by his $100bn Vision Fund. So the unmasking of SoftBank as the mystery “whale” whose options trading appears to have helped drive US technology stocks to record highs is a surprise — this type of trading appears at odds with the self-professed strategic nature of SoftBank’s investments. The revelation has, rightly, fuelled concerns that far from acting like a visionary technology investor, the group is behaving like a hedge fund.

Whatever the exact details of SoftBank’s equity derivatives trade, the key question is whether the wider market cares. The answer is yes. Aside from the general curiosity — and sometimes mockery — that SoftBank attracts in the industry, investors and regulators should be alert to the consequences of one large, determined investor being able — at least in part — to influence the world’s largest, most liquid and most scrutinised stock market.

Even before the identification of SoftBank, there were concerns that the US market was defying fundamentals, and that the one-sided rally in US technology stocks was unsustainable. Trading volumes on Nasdaq, where most of the big tech stocks are listed, are double what they were before the pandemic. Monetary stimulus by central banks in response to the pandemic have helped to propel equity markets higher. The retail trading boom, as day traders have turned to online trading platforms such as Robinhood, has also driven much of the activity, both in equities and derivatives.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Gotta to love symmetry - Following massive gains in the late 90’s the Nasdaq played out thusly:

March, 30% crash

July, summer rebound

September 10th, 72% crash

Today - look familiar?

You'd be my hero if you were long on this market.

Comment

Working...
                      X