• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I'm interested to note how buying this low and selling high is a bad investment? Looks no different to many stock prices over a long period.

You are making it too easy for me.

Your graph above shows a 10x return whilst the S&P 500 (below) shows a 50x return for the same period. And you'd have also received dividends to boot (instead of bleeding cost on expenses keeping the gold).

And then look at inflation over the same period, astonishingly a unit of gold is buying you the same amount of goods today as it was in 1973!

As an investment gold is awful.

Last edited by scooterscot; 16 September 2020, 15:42.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm interested to note how buying this low and selling high is a bad investment? Looks no different to many stock prices over a long period.

Did the penny drop at the same time you deleted the graph?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Kind of amusing to think someone has paid him to do analysis for them. There's desperate, and then there's paying Scooty for a graph and an explanation of why gold is not an investment

I do get now though why he keeps posting here .... he's trying to sell his services. Wouldn't be surprised if he posted on loads of different forums, targeting those forums where he thinks there are affluent people who he can get to part with their dosh.
        Give me your dollar, guaranteed 10% returns.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

As an investment gold is awful.
          Again. You previously said gold isn't an investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Again. You previously said gold isn't an investment.

Correct, it is not an investment. That's why 'as' an investment it is awful because it does not appreciate in value, it just holds it.

Comment

Correct, it is not an investment. That's why 'as' an investment it is awful because it does not appreciate in value, it just holds it.
              It can't be both not an investment and an awful investment.

The only time I ever invested in gold, I made 25% in 2 or 3 years. It was a while ago - don't remember the exact details. But according to you, I never invested in gold, merely bought it and sold it at a profit.

Comment

bought it and sold it at a profit.
                Then you're already ahead of scootie.

Comment

It can't be both not an investment and an awful investment.

The only time I ever invested in gold, I made 25% in 2 or 3 years. It was a while ago - don't remember the exact details. But according to you, I never invested in gold, merely bought it and sold it at a profit.
                  Which years? Did in inflation rise 25% during that time? More than likely, so you never actually made a return.

Gwd I get more understand talking to the cat.

Comment

Did the penny drop at the same time you deleted the graph?
                    I didn't delete the graph, I think there was a session cookie on it or something.

Plus I bought my gold after vote to leave the EU. So in < 5 years I doubled my money in GBP terms.

Anyhow, I said I'm done in this thread, there's nothing of interest to learn here.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I've decided that since there is no useful information in this thread, only the amusement of mocking someone with some issues, I'm done reading and posting here.
                      Bit harsh.

Some good debate about US Tech, Tesla, SMT etc. No one answered my Japanese market post and BGS has risen 10% since then.

I’ve enjoyed reading it, and Scooter is ok imo. Its good to read different opinions regardless if you agree or even believe its true.

Beats the tulip out of IR35 discussions anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X