• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Perhaps as part of your pension and you're now looking to retire, yes, you'd have got some dividends over time. But once you consider inflation over the last 20 years you've now actually now got less money than you put in. Galling.

Imagine you bought BP stocks two years ago. You would just hold it forever and it would never be a loss.

#poopernomics

Comment

Perhaps as part of your pension and you're now looking to retire, yes, you'd have got some dividends over time. But once you consider inflation over the last 20 years you've now actually now got less money than you put in. Galling.

What does this have to do with the date for your put option?

Comment

Oct 1st - Stock pick

Competition time. Centrica was my Spring bet, kept a cool head (you all help really you do keep it coming) and took the profits. Now I'm looking for the next thing. After a period of study I've a FTSE Autumn bet that I believe has a high probability of a good return.

Anyone else got a FTSE pick they believe will do well in the months ahead?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          The same is true for the FTSE100 index. It's about 5% down since Sept 2000.

It's full of dull, plodding, low to no growth stocks in telco, financial services, oil and mining, retail etc. I wouldn't hold out for much prospects of growth over the next 10-20 years either what with the faster pace of 'creative destruction' of companies in the index. Where are the tech giants of the future like the USA? Answers on a postcard...

Just Apple alone is worth more than the entire FTSE100.
          That might tell you more about the valuation of Apple stock more than the value of the FTSE
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Imagine you bought BP stocks two years ago. You would just hold it forever and it would never be a loss.

#poopernomics

You're assuming BP will still be around forever with the rise of the electric car? Cute.

#staleGregGambling
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Competition time. Centrica was my Spring bet, kept a cool head (you all help really you do keep it coming) and took the profits. Now I'm looking for the next thing. After a period of study I've a FTSE Autumn bet that I believe has a high probability of a good return.

Anyone else got a FTSE pick they believe will do well in the months ahead?
              My personal bets are on:

LSE:STCK
              LSE:GSK
              LSE:ASHM
              LSE:QQ.

This is not financial advice, just a pick of stock I feel are currently undervalued by at least 20%

Disclaimer, I am invested in the above stocks.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

You're assuming BP will still be around forever with the rise of the electric car? Cute.

#staleGregGambling
                You would still find a way of pretending it wasn't a loss. You're too emotional to do otherwise.

Comment

No one would buy a single share and hold until retirement so your narrative is false. As you get closer to drawing down on your pension you should be moving your investments to less risky and volatile assets.

Of course this is the normal way to do it, and not your contrarian way
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                    That might tell you more about the valuation of Apple stock more than the value of the FTSE
                    Possibly yes - Apple is on a high PE ratio but it is still a growing company with promising revenue and profit growth categories in wearables and services. It also is still generating large amounts of free cash flow and profit, which is more than can be said for most of the FTSE100.

Comment

That's an exaggeration.
                      Welcome back today .... so, do tell, when is your FTSE put date closing? And what is your target FTSE value?
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X