• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    At scootie's remedial secondary school and pretend university? Quite high, it seems.
    Only if denominated in pretend crypto from a demo trading account.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      I was trying to be kind and assumed someone on here must have even a smidgeon of respect for him

But hey, even I'm not right 100% of the time
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Only if denominated in pretend crypto from a demo trading account.
        At the pretend university of scootie, that's the first thing they placate you with.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          At the pretend university of scootie, that's the first thing they placate you with.
          The Thistle Heathrow Hotel Manager dresses up as Mr Miyagi and teaches him to clean the bogs as part of his trading mindset training.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Competition time. Centrica was my Spring bet, kept a cool head (you all help really you do keep it coming) and took the profits. Now I'm looking for the next thing. After a period of study I've a FTSE Autumn bet that I believe has a high probability of a good return.

Anyone else got a FTSE pick they believe will do well in the months ahead?
            I only invest in Investment Trusts, having sold all of my funds now.

My current portfolio I have just 4 IT’s, massively tech heavy, so I watch the Nasdaq as much as the FTSE.

In the past year:

SMT.L is up 94.65%
            SSON.L is up 21.85%
            BGS.L is up 29.77%
            EWI.L is up 55.91%

I’ve held the top 3 for at least a year.

So if it has to be a FTSE 100 Share I’ll go for SMT.L to continue to Shine..its 978.26.

..else I’ll go with BGS.L, its gone up 26.94% in 3 months already. Today at 241.50, up 1.36%

Comment

I hope Scoots is more resilient than I was because, if not, he's putting himself on the slippery slope.

Psychological Coping Strategies for Handling Losses

"In the event of particularly severe losses, and even possibly with those that do not threaten one's financial survival, there are cases in which people suffer from depression or even despair. As such, they may resort to those negative coping strategies discussed above, or worse."
              Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 29 September 2020, 12:31.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                I hope Scoots is more resilient than I was because, if not, he's putting himself on the slippery slope.

Psychological Coping Strategies for Handling Losses

"In the event of particularly severe losses, and even possibly with those that do not threaten one's financial survival, there are cases in which people suffer from depression or even despair. As such, they may resort to those negative coping strategies discussed above, or worse."
                Denial is pooper's strategy. The sad thing is that it costs him economically, as he'll hold an asset worth less than he paid, rather than bail out early.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Denial is pooper's strategy. The sad thing is that it costs him economically, as he'll hold an asset worth less than he paid, rather than bail out early.
                  He doesn't understand that the markets change continuously, future events happen that change the trajectory of an asset, nor does he understand opportunity loss.

The Art of Cutting Your Losses
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Don't have any yet. Don't sell losses, makes no sense. Why do people sell at a loss? That's capitulation... I only do win.
                    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                    He doesn't understand that the markets change continuously, future events happen that change the trajectory of an asset, nor does he understand opportunity loss.

The Art of Cutting Your Losses
                    Sunk costs are a pretty basic principle. But he's so emotional - he can't process it.

Comment

With some things, you can hold on in the hope that they recover. (Even the tulip I bought 7 years ago may one day get back to break even.)

However, that's not an option with options. You don't have the option to keep holding forever.

Although, I suppose if the first $250k put expires worthless, you could just buy another one. (Please don't!)
                      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 29 September 2020, 13:15.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X