• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    With some pretend things, you can pretend to hold on in the hope that they recover. (Even the tulip I bought 7 years ago may one day get back to break even.)

However, that's not an option with pretend options. You don't have the option to keep pretending to hold forever.

Although, I suppose if the first $250k pretend put expires worthless, you could just pretend to buy another one. (Please don't!)
    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      FTFY
      If only I'd made a pretend purchase 7 years ago.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        If only I'd made a pretend purchase 7 years ago.
        Just pretend you did.

Comment

I'm sure he's fine and dandy, he's $200K up worst case scenario (if you consider the $250K write-off from the option) thanks to his tulipcoin winnings of nearly half a mil.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            I'm sure he's fine and dandy, he's $200K up worst case scenario (if you consider the $250K write-off from the option) thanks to his tulipcoin winnings of nearly half a mil.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Interesting isn't it, that as soon as we focus on Scooty's FTSE put he goes AWOL. The rest of us are open about the investments we have, but not little Scooty even though he's the 'expert' on here.

BTW, FTSE is still loitering around the 5900 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                It'll never go above 60.

Comment

Interesting isn't it, that as soon as we focus on Scooty's FTSE put he goes AWOL. The rest of us are open about the investments we have, but not little Scooty even though he's the 'expert' on here.

What I find interesting is the psychology of his posting on a contractor forum about this stuff. His near half a mil winnings weren't mentioned until long after the fact, almost as if being up half a mil means nothing (or...), surely with financial prowess like that you'd find more stimulating discussion to be had in more refined quarters (versus with a bunch of tax dodging contractors).

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    What I find interesting is the psychology of his posting on a contractor forum about this stuff. His near half a mil winnings weren't mentioned until long after the fact, almost as if being up half a mil means nothing (or...), surely with financial prowess like that you'd find more stimulating discussion to be had in more refined quarters (versus with a bunch of tax dodging contractors).
                    I can't work out if he's trying to impress us with his 'wealth' or be one of us (as he thinks we're all loaded).

We've all made our cash via contracting and (with a few exceptions) most of us are amateurs when it comes to investing. We're probably not the right audience for his analytics as I'm guessing most of us are risk averse having worked hard for our money and so less likely to risk it by gambling big*.

* there will be exceptions but I'm not really seeing it on here.

Comment

I can't work out if he's trying to impress us with his 'wealth' or be one of us (as he thinks we're all loaded).

We've all made our cash via contracting and (with a few exceptions) most of us are amateurs when it comes to investing. We're probably not the right audience for his analytics as I'm guessing most of us are risk averse having worked hard for our money and so less likely to risk it by gambling big*.

* there will be exceptions but I'm not really seeing it on here.
                      I see it slightly differently.

Take this scenario,

Permie job, not well paid, not much deposable income to invest, but I’ve been left £50k in a will. My appetite for risk is low.

Contractor, well paid, lots of deposable income, my risk appetite is higher because I can drip money in, over long periods.

I only invest in IT’s as they are cheap, they spread the risk, and have access to investments not available to private individuals.

They aren’t promoted by investment platforms and financial advisors as they make less commission. They almost always out perform funds and they are less risky because you don’t have issues with liquidity(Woodford).

Comment

Working...
                      X