• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No. Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top. Very hard to do. Waiting for a trend reversal, i.e. lower high is replaced with a higher low, effectively guarantees you'll miss the bottom (or top). The important difference however is that my risk of loss is now greatly reduced because I waited for confirmation thereby increasing my probability of a successful trade.

Have used the above method when entering or exiting a trade with repeated success on spot markets. It requires a lot of emotional control, however. It is not easy.
    Yeah, what idiot gets emotional when trading.

And I'm closing that CNA trade again - no loss - but dum decision to open, completely emotional.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No. Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top. Very hard to do. Waiting for a trend reversal, i.e. lower high is replaced with a higher low, effectively guarantees you'll miss the bottom (or top). The important difference however is that my risk of loss is now greatly reduced because I waited for confirmation thereby increasing my probability of a successful trade.

Have used the above method when entering or exiting a trade with repeated success on spot markets. It requires a lot of emotional control, however. It is not easy.
      There are more fundamental reasons why a share price will rise, find the reason and then more than likely you've found your stock. A clue, it's not on a chart, charts are past tense.

YMMV. TPDNCFA. DYOR. IANQTGFA.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Timing the market is where a buyer or seller believes they are buying at the bottom or selling at the top.
        False.

Market timing is the strategy of making buying or selling decisions of financial assets by attempting to predict future market price movements. The prediction may be based on an outlook of market or economic conditions resulting from technical or fundamental analysis.
        Remind you of anyone?

Comment

All well and good, but trend reversal is still timing the market. Not sure why you’re defending yourself. Its not a stigma.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
            Its not a stigma.
            He created the stigma to fuel his egobabble.

Comment

All well and good, but trend reversal is still timing the market. Not sure why you’re defending yourself. Its not a stigma.
              Because he's special .... and you're all just dirty day traders ..... don't ya know
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

My 50% gain on Centrica this year, Tarot power!
                Again, you're crowing about this little monetary gain (less than I have made in the same time on FTSE funds) and yet you're not crowing about the (fictitious) 3000% / $420k gain or the loss on your FTSE Put.

Inneresting
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  There are more fundamental reasons why a share price will rise, find the reason and then more than likely you've found your stock. A clue, it's not on a chart, charts are past tense.

YMMV. TPDNCFA. DYOR. IANQTGFA.
                  Fundamentals will always play a roll. Best suited for long term investors. If you're a swing trader like myself, i.e. making a few trades per years, fundamentals are more of a 1 of 10 steps. I'd always compliment with a chart analysis.

I vehemently disagree charts are past tense. Ignoring history is crazy. Even the world at large is ignoring history whilst we waste time trying out protectionism again. Everyone is a loser playing a game without end.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

No it isn't.

Timing is a well time.

Trend is a condition.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Again, you're crowing about this little monetary gain (less than I have made in the same time on FTSE funds) and yet you're not crowing about the (fictitious) 3000% / $420k gain or the loss on your FTSE Put.

Inneresting

Crypto I keep for the crypto thread, stocks for this one. I try to keep to stocks only on here as some don't want to read about crypto here. Can't please everyone but will always offend someone. You know something? I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                      X