• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    UK stocks will bounce back – make sure your portfolio is adequately positioned | MoneyWeek

These lot have been there or thereabouts on their calls through Covid times. You could always rely on them for some doom but they are being slightly optimistic. Pile in ? Pile out ? Or stay half in half out ?
    If Merryn Somerset Webb says so then I'm in

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
      If Merryn Somerset Webb says so then I'm in
      Me too.

Her recommendation is an Investment Trust(Temple Bar) that’s down 50% in the last year and is the single worst performing IT so far this year. It has new managers though, so that’s good right?

Whilst in exactly the same IT playground, you can go for Finsbury who have top performing managers over a much longer period, and have performed much better through covid.

Temple Bar might smash it out of the park if the FTSE recovers to 7000, but I have it on good authority the FTSE is dropping to 4500 sometime ermm sometime.

Personally, I don’t want to be with anyone that can lose 50% of investors money in a year..any year.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Sorry to hear about that.

I can't speak for the success or failure of others. Investing is not easy.

If you rode the 2017 bubble to over £1m and watch erode you'd have scars too You'd not be human otherwise. I learnt a lot following that time. Invested in education (so much of which married well with my post grad education) and the support of Mrs Scooter was how should say, she is the moonlight in my darkest hour and supported my decision throughout as I moved away from contracting. That was now almost 2 years ago.

How to succeed? Two things pop out immediately:

1) Believe in yourself. It seems to me the more I study the more success I seem to have. Believe in yourself. You'll be amazed the speed with which others come over with the putdowns as you climb.

2) Control your emotions. Perhaps this should be number (1). It goes without saying, if you're making decisions on 'belief' you're asking for trouble.

3) Have a strategy. Don't even think about investing without one.

4) Avoid the news. The news is poison. Your agenda the MSM agenda are worlds apart. Avoid.

Interestingly, we have a similar expectation of a major FTSE and world market reset. We differ on our approaches to money.

Being brought up in a poor household I respect money. If I'd made a million on any investment I would have pulled it out and thanked my lucky stars. Instead you have thought you have some talent, whereas for every individual it's just a matter of chance. Warren Buffet isn't an individual, he's a brand, so he has advisory and support services from a range of people. For true individuals it's just chance and luck.

No group of agencies have a coordinated agenda, in fact they have competing agendas. 'MSM' is used to describe all international publications - some of which are indeed rubbish - that have competing agendas and financial interests. BBC News is an example of a very good news source that tries to publish things that are thought to have good quality backing. If you compare this to the DailyMail the difference in agenda is clear. I'd say the BBC has an ethos. Those that moan about it tend to be heavily biased towards the new alt right wing crowd.

You need to take a step back and gain some perspective on life and living. When I see someone brand 'mainstream media' I don't respect what else they have to say. As with all subjects there are high quality and low quality MSM. To disparage all MSM as one agenda or entity is generally done by the uneducated, who then promote ZeroHedge or some other laughable 'source' that is full of tripe and its own vested financial interests and backers.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
          Temple Bar might smash it out of the park if the FTSE recovers to 7000, but I have it on good authority the FTSE is dropping to 4500 sometime ermm sometime.
          Of course it recover to 7000, there's no doubt of that.

Say hello to 2027 for me when it gets there.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
            Interestingly, we have a similar expectation of a major FTSE and world market reset. We differ on our approaches to money.

Being brought up in a poor household I respect money. If I'd made a million on any investment I would have pulled it out and thanked my lucky stars. Instead you have thought you have some talent, whereas for every individual it's just a matter of chance. Warren Buffet isn't an individual, he's a brand, so he has advisory and support services from a range of people. For true individuals it's just chance and luck.
            There were caveats - some of it I could not sell as it was locked up. And believe it or not I did not know I had that much, odd as it may sound. Was only some weeks later looking back the horror was realised.

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post

No group of agencies have a coordinated agenda, in fact they have competing agendas. 'MSM' is used to describe all international publications - some of which are indeed rubbish - that have competing agendas and financial interests. BBC News is an example of a very good news source that tries to publish things that are thought to have good quality backing. If you compare this to the DailyMail the difference in agenda is clear. I'd say the BBC has an ethos. Those that moan about it tend to be heavily biased towards the new alt right wing crowd.

You need to take a step back and gain some perspective on life and living. When I see someone brand 'mainstream media' I don't respect what else they have to say. As with all subjects there are high quality and low quality MSM. To disparage all MSM as one agenda or entity is generally done by the uneducated, who then promote ZeroHedge or some other laughable 'source' that is full of tripe and its own vested financial interests and backers.

Okay - let me rephrase, when I say MSM has an agenda, I'm not talking about their content. I'm talking about the reason why they exist. Do you believe that they exist for our benefit? Of course not. They exist to make money from selling news. Now consider that agenda and the content they produce as a tool for investment - it makes no sense to pay attention to it. Avoid.

By way of example, the BBC is often targeted as having an agenda that goes against popular opinion. Of course they do, they collect fees from the state. You'd be the same. They are hardly going to bite the hand that feeds them.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Click on the name and check the reputation score before paying attention to someones idea.
              Anyone else chuckle at the irony of this comment?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Anyone else chuckle at the irony of this comment?
                No. This thread is just a virtual padded cell with some lunatic babbling inanely in it.

There's a much better share discussion thread in Accounting that isn't polluted by his ramblings.

Comment

Money Week, the band of journalist hacks pretending to be financial gurus?

Great way of becoming very poor following their "tips"
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                    Money Week, the band of journalist hacks pretending to be financial gurus?

Great way of becoming very poor following their "tips"
                    All financial gurus are just guessing. Their tips have been mixed but they got the biggest call right by saying the govt money printing would prop up US and UK shares.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rearden Metal;2815947]This thread is just a virtual padded cell with some lunatic babbling inanely in it.QUOTE]

Had a few months away from it and I did think something along those lines doing a catch up

Comment

Working...
                      X