• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Deal might make Sterling too strong
    It will. That's why I pulled out of US stocks a few weeks ago and wouldn't take on too much exposure to the FTSE 100 - it moves pretty mechanically with Sterling given the international makeup, unless there are other strong factors on a given day. I wouldn't expect a major boom in the FTSE 100 with a deal (would be an awkward trade-off between relief and Sterling), but certainly domestically focused stocks (assuming you believe there will be a deal).

Comment

Bring on no deal, which is the best deal!!!

Comment

Bring on no deal, which is the best deal!!!
        Would be good for USD billings

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Would be good for USD billings
          And EUR...

Comment

And EUR...
            Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              It will. That's why I pulled out of US stocks a few weeks ago and wouldn't take on too much exposure to the FTSE 100 - it moves pretty mechanically with Sterling given the international makeup, unless there are other strong factors on a given day. I wouldn't expect a major boom in the FTSE 100 with a deal (would be an awkward trade-off between relief and Sterling), but certainly domestically focused stocks (assuming you believe there will be a deal).
              My ISA is shared across UK, EU, US and Asia funds and I'm hoping they all recover to pre 2020 levels within the next 2 years (and I bought in when FTSE was c.5400 level). To be held for 15+ years at least (until retirement when I'll start drawing down).

It's what us day traders do

Now up over £30k this year
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                My ISA is shared across UK, EU, US and Asia funds and I'm hoping they all recover to pre 2020 levels within the next 2 years (and I bought in when FTSE was c.5400 level). To be held for 15+ years at least (until retirement when I'll start drawing down).

Can't really lose as a long-term investment. Which reminds me, I need to punt 160k into my SIPP before they remove the pension carry forward in April (I speculate)...

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Impressive if your portfolio is 100k, not so much if it is 1M.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    It would have been if he had invested into AMD...

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                      If my portfolio was £1m, do you think I'd be on here wibbling a crock of shyte all day?

Returns are about 20% in total. Which for a simple, hands off long term savings pot is nice Going forward, anything near 5% per year would be nice as it beats inflation.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X