• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Net migration to the UK has fallen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yes, because every single one of those 244,000 immigrant gets social housing, medical cars and benefits. Not one of them ever makes a net contribution to the economy, nor pays more in taxes than they cost the state.
    Many do both, they make a contribution and receive benefits. For example, a colleague has been in the UK 4 years, had a baby here and uses the NHS. He is a contractor so min wages rest divs. He wisely invests his money in property back in India and it's doing well. It's his retirement fund. So, he is using NHS, his money is being directed to India and he has barely made a contribution since he has been here.

Guy down the road is from Poland. Drives a van and works hard. His wife, mother and child all live with him. Child was born in the UK. I imagine a delivery guy doesn't earn that much so I'm guessing his wife/mother in law are supported with benefits.

The truth is how much immigrants cost our country or benefits it are guesses. Depending on the source of the research you will get different answers.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      The vast majority cost more than they return to the country.
      Have you never watched a BBC documentary about economic migrants (sorry I mean asylum seekers) being interviewed on their way to UK?

BBC Luvvie via translator:

"And what did you do in your home town before fleeing some kind of conflict"

Migrant via translator:

"I was a medical doctor"

Next one in line

Migrant via translator:

"I was a surgeon"

Next one in line

Migrant via translator:

"I was a medical doctor"

Next one in line

Migrant via translator:

"I was a medical doctor"

Next one in line

Migrant via translator:

"I was a surgeon"

Next one in line

Migrant via translator:

"I was a medical doctor"

Next one in line...etc...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        UK working population is roughly 50%, so if the same ration is applied to the net migration you will need only 122k jobs, not 223k

According to ONS July-Sep 2017 brought an increase of 88k jobs in one quarter, so yeah, IS it so hard to believe that there are extra jobs for these immigrants?

Or are people thick enough to believe the propaganda that immigrants are coming here to benefit scrounge and nothing else...
        so the other 50% who would be non working migrants (children / homemakers / elderly etc) do these not utilise resources? (schools / hospitals / housing etc)

and there are currently 1.47m people unemployed . . . shouldn't they get first dibs on these 88k jobs?

now if they don't have the right skills that the market demands then by all mean look to import them through (controlled) migration

Comment

and

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Same could be said for the over 65s
          I believe the Break even point is paying PAYE tax on a 40K Salary

this Rules out most IT Contractors on these Boards

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

True, but I suspect most contractors have private health etc and are less of a burden on the NHS
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              True, but I suspect most contractors have private health etc and are less of a burden on the NHS
              I do, I suspect not the majority ??

Indeed and the 1.4mlion Britons living in Europe never use local facilities

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

I don't pay 40% tax rate. However I do pay more in tax than if I was at that break even.

My CT bill on it's own is more than a £50k p.a. person would pay in tax and NI.
                Sure we're tax efficient, but it's not like we don't pay tax.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Even beyond the monetary burden of these immigrants the 'diverse communities' they create carry a high social burden on the country.

Comment

I would treat this headline-grabbing figure with some scepticism if I were you.

My number-crunching contacts on twitter have re-written it as ~100,000 more Europeans living here than last year. I wouldn't interpret that as a Brexit exodus.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      The vast majority cost more than they return to the country.
                      So no different than the natives then?

Comment

Working...
                      X