• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RSI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Flow of energy through your joints
    Tai Chi, like yoga, helps you because it's exercise. Acupuncture can help because it releases endorphins. There's some evidence that dry needling can help - the mechanism isn't known, but it is suspected that it causes parts of muscles that are in spasm to un-spasm, thereby relieving pain. Don't let anyone without a detailed knowledge of anatomy do dry needling.

Anyway, nothing to do with mythical "energy flow".

For the OP - moveable desk, so you can stand up, ergonomic keyboard, ergonomic mouse. If all else fails get an amanuensis.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Tai Chi, like yoga, helps you because it's exercise. Acupuncture can help because it releases endorphins. There's some evidence that dry needling can help - the mechanism isn't known, but it is suspected that it causes parts of muscles that are in spasm to un-spasm, thereby relieving pain. Don't let anyone without a detailed knowledge of anatomy do dry needling.

For the OP - moveable desk, so you can stand up, ergonomic keyboard, ergonomic mouse. If all else fails get an amanuensis.
      I had to start with a dictionary!

Comment

Wrist braces / splints can help as well. Keeps the joint straight and immobile which relieves the pressure on the ulnar nerve where it runs through the carpal tunnel, which is what causes the problems. Easily available on Amazon etc. Make sure you get a rigid one not just an elastic support.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I use a vertical keyboard after RSI made my elbows hurt. Pain went away very quickly afterwards.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            I had to start with a dictionary!
            No need for that, you can work it out: "manu" is Latin for hand, so obviously "amanuensis" is someone willing to give you a hand job.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I remember after banging my head whilst skiing I suffered headaches and when the Doctor said pointed it out that it was because my shoulders were tense, I stopped worrying and they disappeared.

So I can imagine that acupuncture could work.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 February 2018, 15:01.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                Having ignored all the Health and Saftey videos for the majority of my career, RSI is coming to haunt me.

I am now struggling with a vertical mouse and mechanical keyboard which I have used since 2014. The mouse wheel is agony.

I guess I am going to have to try a trackball. Touch pads out, as are iPads, & smartphones - I quite like using a 3rd world Nokia though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keyboards? I am at the point where this may be career ending according to my doctor. Carpal tunnel surgery on both sides soon.

Be careful kids.
                Fraid I use a filco mechanical keybords BUT I have a kensington trackball and it's great.

Comment

I do as little work as possible, never had a problem
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                  X