• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take my mother in Law...please!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm (through choice) been not working since the start of the year and won't start looking again till end of March, not doing anything in particular just stuff that comes up round the house, relaxing or doing stuff I feel like doing kind of thing. I saw the MIL yesterday, thankfully due to where they live don't see her that often.

Now most people when they ask when I see them what are you up, where you working etc when I tell them I'm on a break they leave it at that with her I get "What you been doing?" ok fair enough question but when I say just this and that or something similar I always get 'Well like what?" , Just bits and pieces, taking a break... "yea but like what?" its like she wants some kind of day by day account of what I've been doing. Maybe I should ask her what 'exactly' has she been doing for the last 10 years since shes been retired. I don't think she gets me not working and I must only be at home for a specific reason or in her mind I should be at work!

Anyone else get this kind grilling from family when off, it can be hard enough at times to make them understand I'm a contractor not a temp!

Pff. It's par for the course.

My fiance works night shifts and I have been on the bench for 6 weeks. That is when the real fun starts.

I need a hat that says "This is my job". And maybe hide the M760iL & M750d loaners on the drive. Or at least not have them covered in salt each time she gets home.

Comment

Can't you tell her you're enjoying doing nothing for a bit?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Just tell her you're building a detailed model of the Death Star from Star Wars out of matchsticks, and when it's finished in six months you plan to light it.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          I'm (through choice) been not working since the start of the year and won't start looking again till end of March, not doing anything in particular just stuff that comes up round the house, relaxing or doing stuff I feel like doing kind of thing. I saw the MIL yesterday, thankfully due to where they live don't see her that often.

Now most people when they ask when I see them what are you up, where you working etc when I tell them I'm on a break they leave it at that with her I get "What you been doing?" ok fair enough question but when I say just this and that or something similar I always get 'Well like what?" , Just bits and pieces, taking a break... "yea but like what?" its like she wants some kind of day by day account of what I've been doing. Maybe I should ask her what 'exactly' has she been doing for the last 10 years since shes been retired. I don't think she gets me not working and I must only be at home for a specific reason or in her mind I should be at work!

Anyone else get this kind grilling from family when off, it can be hard enough at times to make them understand I'm a contractor not a temp!
          The answer you were looking for is 'Nailing your daughter'

End of conversation.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            The answer you were looking for is 'Nailing your daughter'

End of conversation.

Sorted with laughter and woke up fiance.

Comment

Sounds more like she's trying to find out what your diary is like when you are off so she can come round and get a bit.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

Comment

Working...
                X