• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Estate Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Estate Agents

Does anyone have any personal experience of selling their property through one of these agents ?

I'm selling due to impending divorce and want to avoid paying a much higher commission to a high street agent..

The properties I see with online estate agents stick around for ever e.g. there is something wrong with the property or where it is located.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was looking for a house last year.

When I saw one advertised with the likes of the purple pricks, I couldn't help thinking that they weren't serious about selling. They go in and suggest a top of the market value with "no commission" to appeal to the greed of the seller.

To be fair, viewings were conducted by a human as they say on their ads, but not somebody with a street by street knowledge of the local market, and the ones I saw were always late because they had come a long way.

Real real estate agents will usually negotiate on price, and as a businessman you should be able to agree a mutually acceptable deal.

I agreed a sliding scale with the agent who was selling mine with something along the lines of a basic 1% up to a certain amount then 10% over that; the agent loved it because it would properly motivate the negotiators; an extra £100 per £10k is neither here nor there, but they'll go the extra mile for a grand and I would get nine! In the end we achieved forty thousand pounds more than what was believed to be the best price which is hugely significant and mocks any saving by "not paying commission"

Divorce is a pain in the tits, and can make it difficult to be level headed, but in the end, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Happy path scenario, the online estate agent model works.

In our experience, the agent does earn their wedge because of the questions being asked and the implications of them. They can smooth over a stressful time for both parties by understanding what is important to the buyer/seller. Ours weren't the buyers from hell either just people who get stressed out because moving house is a big change, but I dread to think of what would have happened if it had been online only.

The difference between the end cost of online and a bricks and mortar was a few multiples of hundred pounds (we live in the impoverished North).

Comment

real estate agents are the same sort of scum as recruitment agents, unfortunately it's almost impossible not to use them

Comment

haven't used them to buy/sell a house, but have used both online and high street for renting out my house and have to say the online letting agent was miles better value for money. A trivial fee to advertise on the main property sites (zoopla etc.) vs 1 month rent to do the same.

Comment

Thanks for responses.

My comparison fees are online agent £895-£1200 vs high street agent £5000 fixed.
              This is on an £800-850k property, selling through divorce. Leaning towards high street and taking the hit on the higher fee for a less hassle sale.

Comment

Hmm, that is quite a difference! Ours was like £6-700.

Maybe just online with a realistic price in that case? Depends on how desirable is the property, if it'll shift easy and there's no problems with surveys (disputes etc.) or structure then get it on-line.

Doing a bit of legwork could save yourself a fair amount.

Comment

Neighbour recently sold his house. He was a bit of a tight git and listed it with purple bricks. They charge a fixed fee of 800 at time of listing and non refundable. Terrible pictures and property did not sell for a few months.
                  He then listed with high street agent and it sold within a week. Much better pictures and listing though.
                  In the end he lost out on that purple bricks fee and paid the 1% fee to high street agent. Double whammy!
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Does anyone have any personal experience of selling their property through one of these agents ?

I'm selling due to impending divorce and want to avoid paying a much higher commission to a high street agent..
                    depends where the flat / house is? central london and online is good because theres lots of demand

outside better with traditional

sad to tell you the market is very soft at the moment

Comment

Working...
                    X