• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blam and dast...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Good news

+1
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Soory it's been a while...

But it's one of those things...

I did make it back to work after quite a few "bashes" with DWP who sent me for a "Work Capability Assessment" 6 weeks after coming out of hospital and then told me I was "Fit for work". So I went back to work, collapsed and almost pegged it apparently.. Then they called me to ask why I had not disputed their decision.

So I told them "You told me I was fit for work so I went back. Then I collapsed at work and had to go back into hospital"... Stunned silence... Anyway eventually it became clear that this is in fact standard policy, to declare you fit so that it adds to the stress because what they really want you to do is to commit suicide and stop bothering them, after all you can't pay into the governments coffers anymore so what use are you?

But I'm not that type of person. Or at least I didn't think I was.

But I did eventually get back to work in a kind of night shift care taker role, still a site manager but not climbing up and down scaffolds or jumping into excavations. And I managed a whole year before I discovered two things:

The First one: My Accountants are completely useless.

A bit of background.

When I went for my yearly medical I finally discovered I had suffered a heart attack on the table, (which was why I was in there for 9 hours) and my heart was damaged, and my kidneys, and I now have a rather strange condition called Lymphodaema where my right leg can swell to twice it's size, as well as now having severe arthritis in my hands and legs, being knocked off my motorcycle on the hottest day of the year and breaking my left foot, the bike being written off, as well as a few other ailments.. Including a broken left pinkie and a couple of broken ribs, another "Bike accident" on the M25 during a heavy rain squall when my bike apparently aquaplaned me off at approx. 70mph...which has resulted in my family doing their utmost to get me to stop riding bikes, probably the only real pleasure I get these days.

Well, no way around it I came pretty close to having a complete mental breakdown, my GP believes it's a form of Post Operative stress (or "Survivor guilt") and I'm currently off work, and have been since December 20th last year.

The Second thing: Depression isn't fun. The "happy pills" make it worse...

So... I went down the Universal Credit route. Or "Please top yourself and stop bothering us" to but it bluntly. Because that's what it appears to be designed to do, but I digress because actually I can see why it was necessary, the only thing "wrong" with it seems to be that it has no system to cover people who are ill... And discovered (1) to be absolutely correct.

Been for a visit to the Job Centre today to find out we won't be getting any payments because... The so called "Accountants" I have? Well they have been telling HMRC that we are both STILL drawing a wage off the company. The company who's earnings since I've had the last cancer are still unable to cover out of pocket expenses, cancer really messes you up... You might ask why I wasn't keeping an eye on things? Did I mention I have severe depression?

The same Accountants who failed to file my company accounts on time, so I have a fine to pay. The same company who have basically done SFA for the last 9 months have now resulted in us being potentially investigated for attempted fraud because they have given HMRC the wrong information.

So: What do I do next? Answers will be greatly useful. Topping myself isn't on the list.

I'm not going to mention the accountants because I think I'm big enough to give them one last chance to get it right and tell HMRC they have made a mistake.. But I very much doubt I will be staying with them.

So I need another accountancy firm. In case I ever get well enough to start and earn a living again.

An Update: It appears that due to my somewhat befuddled state it might not all be the "fault" of the accountant. So emails have been sent, phone calls made, more emails sent and at the moment I have to wait and see what happens now. But I will be seeking another accountant...
      Last edited by Lost It; 10 March 2020, 18:49.

Comment

Well that's crap.

My accountant is a one/two man band who I've been with for years and may be able to help? Happy to give you their details

Comment

Really sorry to hear all that. Chin up and chest out...

If you want a smaller setup with a much more personal service I would suggest giving Sarah at Paperrocket a call.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lost my son-in-law (28) to cancer around 9 months ago. Was horrendous watching what he went through in the 15 months or so it took to going from having a weird ulcer on his tongue to dying. Utterly horrible.

Hope things work out for you dude !!
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Hope things work out for you dude !!
              +1

Very sorry to hear your plight

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Well that's crap.

My accountant is a one/two man band who I've been with for years and may be able to help? Happy to give you their details
                Please do. I think a monkey with an abacus would be more use to me than the box tickers I have at the moment...

Comment

Still looking...

So I'm still looking for another accountant. And I'm running out of time.

I had one company who wanted to charge me from last November because that's their working year. I'd like to be paid for the last 4 months for doing nothing as well. Any offers?

One company that promised faithfully they were going to call me twice, then didn't. So clearly they don't need my business.

And one who wanted me to guarantee to pay them for 12 months.

Didn't want to commit to that in case I fall over, being in the "At Risk" section for CoVID.

That for some reason our PM keeps calling a disease.

And I'm now so glad I have turned down two job offers who wanted me to go IR35... Has to be some "wins" due to me?

Comment

Well is it time for an update?

I think so...

So September 2020. I went to the loo in the morning and had the most horific pain I've ever experienced, almost blacked out, head thumping vision darkening type event, eventually managed to tell my wife to call an ambulance because the pain was frightening. Seems they turned up by which time I had tried a warm bath to try and ease the agony, I couldn't poo basically.

Ambulance crew came, took a pilse and then my BP then wuisked me into the back of the ambulance, it gesta bit confusing after that but apparentlyaccording to my wife they were on the phone link to the hospital because my heart rate was high up in the 180's apparently and they couildn't get my BP to drop, I was given an injection of somethingm, they couldn't give me entonox because they suspected something was wrong "down there" and I lost track of time at that point, I recall the ambulance journey in parts, sleeping, waking up watching them putting a catheter in then nothing but a lot of very strange dreams, in and out of I presume sleep, some weird conversations.

Now it's over two years further on so over time I've been able to put together a few salient facts. Apparently the ambulance was outside my house for almost an hour before they moved me to hospital, because of C19 I wasn't allowed into the intensive care bit, the catheter went in just before I went in for what they call and "Intervention" operation which basically means they just cut and dive in to see what is wrong, what was wrong was that my bowel had finally disintegrated and I was filling the cavity with poo. After 4 hours of operation they had to stop because the women trying to keep me alive said iof they don't stop my heart will give out, then it did, they got me back.
                    they told my family not to expect me to survive that night I was in a really bad position appaently.
                    Two days later they went in again to complete the jetwashing of my insides I presume, fit me with a Stoma and do whatever they could to seal the bowel off, I still have a "stub" where my backside is but it's only a few inches.

And then they sowed me up after fitting a few drains to try and get the rest of the poo out, my scar is something to behold, I don't think they took much care with making it look pretty, it runs from just below my sternum to about 6 inches above my peeing stick. So quite long. And then I was filled with pipes, antibiotics, turned into a michelin man, my kidneys failed, I recall my wife saying to me "You made it" which I presume was my 40th wedding anniversary on the 13th September, I recall it getting very dark and peacefull and my senses slowly shutting down, my daughter saying good bye to me and saying not to worry about the baby, (turns out she had a miscarraige during my stay) and me thinking "Why are they saying goodbye to me I'm going nowhere until I've seen a grandchild" at which point apparently my heart monitor started to speed up again so I'm told, but I was very determined in my head that saying goodbye wasn't appropriate at the time. I honestly think I was dying and what she said kicked me off again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                      I honestly think I was dying and what she said kicked me off again.
                      Stubborn git.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X