• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back in the UK for a weekend and can't believe the number of homeless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the UK for a weekend and can't believe the number of homeless

Came back to the UK for a weekend and can't believe the number of homeless around London streets, remember when I stick a fiver in your tin its PAYE none of that corp tax and dividends nonsense.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Came back to the UK for a weekend and can't believe the number of homeless around London streets, remember when I stick a fiver in your tin its PAYE none of that corp tax and dividends nonsense.
    Too many folk looking at their smart phones or wafting past in Range Rovers.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

They're not homeless. That's the first rung of the housing ladder these days, a cardboard box.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

This is why Corbyn is popular. I remember when homeless people were drunk tramps that had given up on life and chosen the Tenants Super lifestyle.

Now they are regular folk - a lot of them, an unacceptable amount of them that ultimately points at a failure at the government/society level.

An inability to discern between the plasma screen Xbox layabouts on benefits and those that genuinely need help and support after being made redundant etc is an illustration of how dysfunctional our government and civil service are.

Hopefully the Tories will start doing something about it in an effort to try and outmaneuver Corbyn - or Corbyn will win on this and many other points. I'm not suggesting a massive move to the left but somewhere a bit closer to the middle should do it.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          Lots of ex IT workers displaced from the workforce by the lax immigration controls and mass issue of intra company transfer visas to the Indian outsourcers

Comment

We volunteer at a winter homeless shelter. Due to resources we can only open in the winter but we give them somewhere safe and warm to sleep for as long as we can provided they stay off alcohol and drugs for the night. Last winter when one of our regulars did not come in she was found dead the next morning in the town centre. It is pretty harrowing stuff at times.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              Lots of ex IT workers displaced from the workforce by the lax immigration controls and mass issue of intra company transfer visas to the Indian outsourcers

Indeed. I used to be able to 'code HTML for food' but now even DHL require a multitude of tech skills in exchange for a bit of KFC.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                I always throw them a fiver then I kick them up the backside and tell them to get a job at the local fruit farm.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  We volunteer at a winter homeless shelter. Due to resources we can only open in the winter but we give them somewhere safe and warm to sleep for as long as we can provided they stay off alcohol and drugs for the night. Last winter when one of our regulars did not come in she was found dead the next morning in the town centre. It is pretty harrowing stuff at times.

From being out in the cold so equivalent of freezing to death?

I've endured a winter in student accommodation without any heating so if forced to live on the streets I'd be looking for a squat to shelter in. Plenty of seemingly abandoned properties about due to all the foreign ownership or barely used second homes where they see them as investments so rather keep them empty than a provision of housing. Fair game for squatters in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    ... now even DHL require a multitude of tech skills in exchange for a bit of KFC.
                    I've heard the day rates at DHL are chicken feed
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X