• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LHM View Post
    Hi anyone got any recommendations for where I can get some trustworthy investment advice? I’ve received an inheritance (50k) and I don’t have a clue what to do with it. My accountant wasn’t very forthcoming. He did say despite all the changes in but to let taxes, I would be better to do residential buy to let, rather than commercial (my original thought). Looking to be put in touch with someone with really good knowledge?
    Thanks in advance
    You don't need advice to invest 50k, it's easy.
    Go to HL.co.uk.
    Setup ISA.
    Put 20k in.
    If you have AT LEAST 5 years and preferably 10 before you need the money, buy Vanguard Lifestrategy 80/20 fund (80% shares).
    In April - put another 20k in and do the same OR setup monthly auto purchase to PCA it.

GLA

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      Go to HL.co.uk.
      Setup ISA.
      Put 20k in.
      If you have AT LEAST 5 years and preferably 10 before you need the money, buy Vanguard Lifestrategy 80/20 fund (80% shares).
      In April - put another 20k in and do the same OR setup monthly auto purchase to PCA it.

GLA
      But you gave it anyway. Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I wish you well with this craze. Personally I think it's the most blatant pyramid selling, Ponzi scheme, Emperor's new clothes bubble were the majority are going to lose a fortune and it wil most likely land up taking down most of the worlds stock markets.

It's all a giant con backed by the Russians to destabilise the West.

But good luck.

I hear you. Don't disagree. Nevertheless you should not use that as a reason not to make money. Much of the crypto world will be a Dotcom Mk II, but finding the Google and Facebook cryptos is the challenge. I believe Zencash will be one of them. As will CND.

Something from PBC today:

"Consider for a moment if bitcoin and cryptocurrencies become part of global bond and equity portfolios.
        The global stock and bond markets total $288 trillion.
        Just a 1% allocation means nearly $3 trillion coming into the cryptocurrency space. That’s six times more than the entire space right now."

That'll happen before the end of 2019.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Just as an aside, I did some looking into commercial property because it seemed like a way to avoid the attack on residential landlords. Unless you're talking serious money, I think it's a total non-started. You've only got to look at the amount of empty commercial property around and how long it remains dormant - looks like a rapid way to buy an empty shop/office/unit/garage or whatever to me.

I think it requires a LOT more knowledge of the local area and trading etc. For example, there's a nice office for sale in the next town over from me. Looks like an absolute bargain - nice and modern (90's build), perfect for housing a small business. Central location, just off the high street. Problem is, that town is going absolutely nowhere and has been declining for decades - maybe it'll get a resurgence and I'd suddenly own a prime location office - or, more likely, I will have nothing to offer over the much more pleasant and plentiful retail park locations.

Not saying you don't need to consider such things when buying residential property, but if you buy a decent house in an area full of occupied houses then you're unlikely to go a million miles wrong. And likely far easier to sell if you do **** it up.
          Have you thought about REIT's?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Have you thought about REIT's?
            Not properly, no, to be honest. They feel a bit "scary", for no particular reason - probably because I don't fully understand. I've currently got zero pension but a reasonable chunk of cash in the Ltd Co ~£30k or so) from a one-off deal that I need to do something with and I'm so so torn between Pension, BTL (With a mortgage, of course) or a-n-other!

I've got to confess, I like the idea of BTL but now I actually have the money it feels hard to hand it over in the current climate and I don't want to sit on it too long.
            Last edited by vwdan; 26 February 2018, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Not properly, no, to be honest. They feel a bit "scary", for no particular reason - probably because I don't fully understand. I've currently got zero pension but a reasonable chunk of cash in the Ltd Co ~£30k or so) from a one-off deal that I need to do something with and I'm so so torn between Pension, BTL (With a mortgage, of course) or a-n-other!

I've got to confess, I like the idea of BTL but now I actually have the money it feels hard to hand it over in the current climate and I don't want to sit on it too long.
              I know someone who has invested in https://www.uown.co/ and seems happy enough so far, as for REIT I have a whack in with City of London Investment Group and again no complaints so far
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Download Goonder onto your phone and let its AI bot invest your money for you

What could be simpler or safer

Making money trading in the stock market is easier than they made you think: check, swipe, send. That´s it.

Goonder is the perfect blend of Bloomberg (without the overwhelming amount of data), Tinder (without its possible complications), and social media (without the cat pictures), that turns investing in securities into a simple, fun, and profitable experience.

Every day Goonder will select for you the best investment opportunities in companies worldwide, according to your profile. All you have to do is swipe right to accept them or swipe left to reject them. Yes, that simple.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  Go to HL.co.uk.
                  Setup ISA.
                  Put 20k in.

GLA

Is HL a better option than setting up the ISA directly on the Vanguard platform if not wanting to put money into anything other than their Lifestrategy product?
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I wish you well with this craze. Personally I think it's the most blatant pyramid selling, Ponzi scheme, Emperor's new clothes bubble were the majority are going to lose a fortune and it wil most likely land up taking down most of the worlds stock markets.

It's all a giant con backed by the Russians to destabilise the West.

But good luck.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rAJJlxjUpA

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Property of overvalued and due for a correction.
                      TBF it's been over valued for decades some would argue, given that the usual ratio of 3x one income or 2.5x joint income multiples has been blown apart now for at least two decades.

Comment

Working...
                      X