• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feckin' "Middle of two lanes" queue policers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    No it flippin' isn't. You're the one who is just thick!

Everyone goes through a restricted lane section much faster if the cars just join at the back of the queue.

It's selfish tosser cheats like you that slow everyone down with your "zipper" bollox !
    Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but not only is it better to filter in at the end, it's the way you're meant to do it according to the highway code.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...e/zip-merging/

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but not only is it better to filter in at the end, it's the way you're meant to do it according to the highway code.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...e/zip-merging/
      As soon as that page opened a picture of a heavily made up pretty young lady appeared. I instantly clicked off. I'm offended by their use of the female image to enhance the articles message. Sexist bigots.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Everyone goes through a restricted lane section much faster if the cars just join at the back of the queue.

It's selfish tosser cheats like you that slow everyone down with your "zipper" bollox !
        I'm afraid you are showing woeful ignorance. You are quite wrong. I pretty sure we discussed this recently. It's pretty much proven that in most cases, late merge is optimal.

Late merge results in shorter queues helping prevent spillover to earlier junctions (which, as ani fule kno causes utter chaos), it evens out average speed between the two lanes which increases safety so you have fewer in-queue collisions (which also screws everything up).

Many governments actively encourage late merge for these reasons. Some have made it a road offence to not do it.

In other news:
        • Not wearing a seatbelt isn't safe than wearing one
        • You don't drive better when drunk
        • The earth is not flat
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'll wave at you all as a ride through on the motorbike

(Apart from when it's cold, wet, damp etc - **** that, I'll just take one of the cars!)

Comment

Yeh of course. Instead of 200 yds of one lane lets just not use the last mile and extend it to 1 mile 200 yds just because people insist on going to the back of the queue.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Pschocandy is right in Germany cars use the "zipper" principle, encouraged by adverts and road signs to drive like that. By queuing up before the single lane actually simply increases the length of the single lane and increases the size of the traffic jam.

It's true that generally people in the UK are a bit thick.

Yes at last. I've seen the zipper signs in the uk but people are still too thick.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I'll wave at you all as a ride through on the motorbike

(Apart from when it's cold, wet, damp etc - **** that, I'll just take one of the cars!)
                Got a mate who rides a bike. Been taken out twice by people swerving in front of him in traffic queue because people didn't like him "cheating".

Comment

I've seen 'Merge in Turn' on UK roads I'm sure...

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Got a mate who rides a bike. Been taken out twice by people swerving in front of him in traffic queue because people didn't like him "cheating".
                    Yep, the world is full of bitter, selfish dicks. I sincerely don't understand it. Personally I always filter at walking-ish pace, and I don't shy from the occasional wing mirror modification service

Rode in France last year - and all it did was show me how utterly hateful Britains roads are.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Nope whats worse is people who see a thread on an internet forum that doesn't interest them but they still waste their own time replying to it instead of ignoring it. Whats that quote from Einstein?
                      "F**k you, I'm not wearing socks." ?

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X