• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geek out!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geek out!

https://mcuhacker.wordpress.com/

Do you remember the simpler times when you had a DOS command line, a handful of commands, and you talked to the hardware through a few BIOS and DOS interrupts? Okay, maybe it was a little limited, but nostalgia doesn’t care. Now [mcuhacker] is working on bringing some of those memories back by getting a PC-XT emulator running on an ESP8266.

For the x86 CPU emulator, he ported Fake86 which is written in C, and created an Arduino IDE environment for it. The MS-DOS 3.3 bootdisk image is stored in flash and is accessed as the A: drive. There’s no keyboard yet but he has 640×200 CGA working with 80×25 characters on a 3.5″ TFT display with the help of a low pass filter circuit. In the video below he shows it booting to the point where it asks for the date.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    i remember times when PC's didn't exist.
    not so simple though, back then

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      i remember times when PC's didn't exist.
      not so simple though, back then
      You sound like my Dad

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        You sound like my Dad
        Mibbee? - ah'm sayin' nothing

Comment

Bit of DOS still useful for the odd thing!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Certainly is! Tend to use it when DNS gets its knickers in a twist

Comment

Is that DOS/VSE ??

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Certainly is! Tend to use it when DNS gets its knickers in a twist
                WSS.

Nothing like a quick "ipconfig /renew" or "ipconfig /flushdns" or similar
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  exactly, I've no idea how you dir /s >list.txt in a GUI like Windows.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X