• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fake Global Warming News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Global Warming News

It's -10c in Hampshire and that's the actual current temperature at 00;27.

Last week I predicted that during the cold spell we will have the inevitable press releases about how global warming is continuing; just to assure us that climate predictions are correct... allegedly.

Now we have this from NASA, "North Pole is above freezing..."

Note the 'warming map'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/to...cid=spartanntp

However, it's not true... Weather for Taloyoak, NU, Canada is -28c and has been around that temperature for weeks.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

What is completely predictable is that in every cold snap, the usual anti-global-warming knuckleheads here, like Blasterbates, and you it seems, pop up to scoff at the scientists.

No matter how many times one points out that a defrosting walk-in freezer feels much colder for a considerable distance outside, they won't be swayed.

2018-02-27 Freak WARMING in the Arctic is to blame for the big chill over Europe: Experts warn it's 'never been this extreme' and predict it may happen more often due to climate change
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Oh I miss those long rambling 'AGW is all a hoax, scientists don't know nuffink' threads. Said no one, ever.

I fail to see how a cold reading in Taloyoak, (69 degrees N) discredits warmth at the Pole. My money is on NASA.

That a consequence of a warming Arctic and decreasing sea ice would be colder and snowy winters elsewhere was predicted some time ago. Eg.

While the Arctic region has been warming strongly in recent decades, anomalously large snowfall in recent winters has affected large parts of North America, Europe, and east Asia. Here we demonstrate that the decrease in autumn Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation that have some resemblance to the negative phase of the winter Arctic oscillation. However, the atmospheric circulation change linked to the reduction of sea ice shows much broader meridional meanders in midlatitudes and clearly different interannual variability than the classical Arctic oscillation. This circulation change results in more frequent episodes of blocking patterns that lead to increased cold surges over large parts of northern continents.
      Lui et al 2012

An alarming heatwave in the sunless winter*Arctic*is causing blizzards in Europe and forcing scientists to reconsider even their most pessimistic forecasts of climate change. Although it could yet prove to be a freak event, the primary concern is that global warming is eroding the polar vortex, the powerful winds that once insulated the frozen north.

The north pole gets no sunlight until March, but an influx of warm air has pushed temperatures in Siberia up by as much as 35C above historical averages this month. Greenland has already experienced 61 hours above freezing in 2018 - more than three times as many hours as in any previous year.

Seasoned observers have described what is happening as “crazy,” “weird,” and “simply shocking”.

“This is an anomaly among anomalies. It is far enough outside the historical range that it is worrying – it is a suggestion that there are further surprises in store as we continue to poke the angry beast that is our climate,” said Michael Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University.*
      https://www.theguardian.com/environm...perature-rises
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

https://realclimatescience.com/2018/...s-the-new-hot/

Good site.

Comment

I favour this theory:

UK to get a Mediterranean climate

Olive groves, vines and sunflower fields could become hallmarks of the landscape in South-East England
          Rolling lawns and herbaceous borders may be ousted by palms and eucalyptus.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Lovelock reckons that the British Isles will be among the few island oases in a world given over to desert, scrub and oceans devoid of life: "Everybody in Europe will be wanting to come here." Even people who live in currently delightful spots such as Cap d'Antibes and Siena. They aren't going to like Milton Keynes or Cumbernauld one bit.
            That's absurd of course. Some bits of Cumbernauld are quite nice.

Interview with James Lovelock.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Well, I liked this comment:

Tony Heller – As usual, whether you are deliberately lying or not, you are wrong in your discussion of Arctic temperatures above. You state, “My favorite Australian climate fraudster (Peter Hannam) says -10C at the North Pole is actually 0C, and it is really hot.” I read the article you referred to and he said no such thing! (link at the bottom)

Referencing Hannam’s article, you said, “He also said that the Polar Vortex moving south is caused by global warming.” Again, you are wrong, he said no such thing. What he did say about the Polar Vortex was, “The so-called Polar Vortex – a zone of persistient low-pressure that typically keeps high-latitude cold air separate from regions further south – has been weakening for decades.”

You then go on to state, “The graph in his article was taken distorted from the DMI graphs below, which shows that temperatures were no where near the melting point,…” Again you are wrong. He used the same dataset as in the DMI graphs and arrived at the same results. Look at the two graphs again, this time with your glasses on! The only difference is in the presentation.

“…and that during the summer melt season (the only time the ice could actually melt) temperatures near the pole were below normal every single day last summer.” Referring to the second DMI graph, what part of the red line in the 2017 graph don’t you understand? These graphs are averaged over the whole of the Arctic, not just “near the pole”. Just eyeballing the graph, I’d have to say that the Arctic averaged above zero temperatures for roughly 75 days, would you agree? If you have a separate, single source for the North Pole then show it!
              (Etc etc )

Here is a hint: Tony Heller (who used to write for the Watts Up With That website and The Register under the pseudonym Steve Goddard until both outlets showed him the door after one too many mistakes lies) has no qualifications in climate science, frequently just makes stuff up and has a long and inglorious history of errors.

Here's his response to the substantive errors of fact this commenter raises, in full:-

Moron Alert
              Yeah, great site. I know we are post-truth and all that but Heller really is chock full of crap.

Comment

To be honest I've heard similar stories about how NASA uses data to tell it's own story, and is then proven wrong.

Comment

I have absolutely no doubt you've heard stories.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    To be honest I've heard similar stories about how NASA uses data to tell it's own story, and is then proven wrong.
                    What is the peer reviewed evidence base for this assertion?

Comment

Working...
                    X