• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toys R Us and Maplin collapse puts 5,500 jobs at risk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    In Munich we still have C&A and Woolworths (albeit called Woolworth but same tat) - both are always busy. What gives?

If I had to guess, it's price plan and simple. Was in the UK er a few weeks ago, it was notable prices have moved up. Every visit always feels more expensive than the previous despite the Eur/Gbp not doing much. I don't know how people cope.
    One word, "rents".

I guess this is one of the downsides of having sky high property prices, and greedy BTL and institutional landlords (and most pubs that aren't free houses are finding the same)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Awww. Maplin going under makes me glum. As a spotty teenage we'd get excited when the Maplin Catalogue appeared and spent ages pouring over it for our components for electronics club. To be fair though for the next 30 years all it did was remind me of electronics club. Never bought a single thing from them since.
      Should you be talking about this?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Should you be talking about this?
        He's banned from within 200 yards of all Toy's R Us stores, so he has to.

Comment

Working...
        X