Expats complaining they have to pay. Expats complaining they have to pay. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 20 of 20

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhouse View Post
    ID cards are a great idea. No idea why people are so against them. No UK id or no insurance then no treatment.
    The Estonian model is pretty cool imo
    https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/id-card/

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    The Estonian model is pretty cool imo
    https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/id-card/
    the swiss and dutch have similar, but the swiss one can be had if you're living and working there.
    (probably the same in other EU countries, but these are the only two i've spent any real time in).
    i don't know why theres so much resistance in UK, really, there's so much surveillance under the covers anyway
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    People resident in Zambia don't usually have an EHIC card though.
    I don't either. I have (mandatory) private health insurance. Worldwide coverage by default - although additional is advised for visits to the US.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I don't either. I have (mandatory) private health insurance. Worldwide coverage by default - although additional is advised for visits to the US.
    Oh, i seem to remember having a swiss one when i lived there

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

the swiss and dutch have similar, but the swiss one can be had if you're living and working there.
    (probably the same in other EU countries, but these are the only two i've spent any real time in).
    i don't know why theres so much resistance in UK, really, there's so much surveillance under the covers anyway
    It's because of a case in the1950s where a police officer demanded one for what seemed no good reason. The judge sided with the complainant.

UK governments have tried to bring them in via the back door e.g under Bliar but there are civil liberties campaigners keeping a close eye on the government.

What's interesting though is in the UK most people normally have something e.g. a bank card, mobile phone on them where they can be identified from just not immediately.

Oh and if you go to hospital now particularly to A&E and maternity due to the abuses in the press they demand you prove where you are from. However the incompetent admins don't always collect the payment from people and they are not helped by the medical staff.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's because of a case in the1950s where a police officer demanded one for what seemed no good reason. The judge sided with the complainant.

UK governments have tried to bring them in via the back door e.g under Bliar but there are civil liberties campaigners keeping a close eye on the government.

What's interesting though is in the UK most people normally have something e.g. a bank card, mobile phone on them where they can be identified from just not immediately.

Oh and if you go to hospital now particularly to A&E and maternity due to the abuses in the press they demand you prove where you are from. However the incompetent admins don't always collect the payment from people and they are not helped by the medical staff.
    Ireland is bringing in a Public Services Card by the back door. You now can't apply for a drivers' licence or child benefit etc.

It is defined as 'not compulsory but mandatory for public services'. There is considerable controversy, in part because of the stealthy way it has been introduced. It's worth noting that it differs from a continental ID card because there is no obligation to carry it and produce it to identify yourself in the street.

Minister says Public Services Card is 'not compulsory but is mandatory for services'
    Where there's muck there's brass.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Ireland is bringing in a Public Services Card by the back door. You now can't apply for a drivers' licence or child benefit etc.

It is defined as 'not compulsory but mandatory for public services'. There is considerable controversy, in part because of the stealthy way it has been introduced. It's worth noting that it differs from a continental ID card because there is no obligation to carry it and produce it to identify yourself in the street.

Minister says Public Services Card is 'not compulsory but is mandatory for services'
    Thanks - nice to know what's going to happen in the UK soon.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Thanks - nice to know what's going to happen in the UK soon.
    its about time.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Oh, i seem to remember having a swiss one when i lived there
    Perhaps it's all streamlined automatically into insurance. The Swiss can on occasion be quite efficient.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Perhaps it's all streamlined automatically into insurance. The Swiss can on occasion be quite efficient.
    on occasion, i'll give you

Keeping full cross-border insurance involved a call to the ombudsman's office.
    It all became very efficient then! - before, it was 'not possible'