• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expats complaining they have to pay.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    ID cards are a great idea. No idea why people are so against them. No UK id or no insurance then no treatment.
    The Estonian model is pretty cool imo
    https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/id-card/

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The Estonian model is pretty cool imo
      https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/id-card/
      the swiss and dutch have similar, but the swiss one can be had if you're living and working there.
      (probably the same in other EU countries, but these are the only two i've spent any real time in).
      i don't know why theres so much resistance in UK, really, there's so much surveillance under the covers anyway

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        People resident in Zambia don't usually have an EHIC card though.
        I don't either. I have (mandatory) private health insurance. Worldwide coverage by default - although additional is advised for visits to the US.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I don't either. I have (mandatory) private health insurance. Worldwide coverage by default - although additional is advised for visits to the US.
          Oh, i seem to remember having a swiss one when i lived there

Comment

the swiss and dutch have similar, but the swiss one can be had if you're living and working there.
            (probably the same in other EU countries, but these are the only two i've spent any real time in).
            i don't know why theres so much resistance in UK, really, there's so much surveillance under the covers anyway
            It's because of a case in the1950s where a police officer demanded one for what seemed no good reason. The judge sided with the complainant.

UK governments have tried to bring them in via the back door e.g under Bliar but there are civil liberties campaigners keeping a close eye on the government.

What's interesting though is in the UK most people normally have something e.g. a bank card, mobile phone on them where they can be identified from just not immediately.

Oh and if you go to hospital now particularly to A&E and maternity due to the abuses in the press they demand you prove where you are from. However the incompetent admins don't always collect the payment from people and they are not helped by the medical staff.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It's because of a case in the1950s where a police officer demanded one for what seemed no good reason. The judge sided with the complainant.

UK governments have tried to bring them in via the back door e.g under Bliar but there are civil liberties campaigners keeping a close eye on the government.

What's interesting though is in the UK most people normally have something e.g. a bank card, mobile phone on them where they can be identified from just not immediately.

Oh and if you go to hospital now particularly to A&E and maternity due to the abuses in the press they demand you prove where you are from. However the incompetent admins don't always collect the payment from people and they are not helped by the medical staff.
              Ireland is bringing in a Public Services Card by the back door. You now can't apply for a drivers' licence or child benefit etc.

It is defined as 'not compulsory but mandatory for public services'. There is considerable controversy, in part because of the stealthy way it has been introduced. It's worth noting that it differs from a continental ID card because there is no obligation to carry it and produce it to identify yourself in the street.

Minister says Public Services Card is 'not compulsory but is mandatory for services'

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Ireland is bringing in a Public Services Card by the back door. You now can't apply for a drivers' licence or child benefit etc.

It is defined as 'not compulsory but mandatory for public services'. There is considerable controversy, in part because of the stealthy way it has been introduced. It's worth noting that it differs from a continental ID card because there is no obligation to carry it and produce it to identify yourself in the street.

Minister says Public Services Card is 'not compulsory but is mandatory for services'
                Thanks - nice to know what's going to happen in the UK soon.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Thanks - nice to know what's going to happen in the UK soon.
                  its about time.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oh, i seem to remember having a swiss one when i lived there
                    Perhaps it's all streamlined automatically into insurance. The Swiss can on occasion be quite efficient.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Perhaps it's all streamlined automatically into insurance. The Swiss can on occasion be quite efficient.
                      on occasion, i'll give you

Keeping full cross-border insurance involved a call to the ombudsman's office.
                      It all became very efficient then! - before, it was 'not possible'

Comment

Working...
                      X