Expats complaining they have to pay. Expats complaining they have to pay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Default Expats complaining they have to pay.

NHS slaps British expat couple with £40,000 bill | Daily Mail Online

NHS slaps British expat couple with £40,000 bill for emergency birth while they were on holiday in the UK
    Paul Barnes, 33, and his fiancee Sophie Henley, 25, received a £40,000 NHS bill because they live abroad in Zambia so do they not get free NHS treatment
    Couple were on holiday in the UK visiting family and friends when complications led to son Archie being delivered seven weeks early by emergency c-section
    Archie weighed just 3lbs and has been kept in an intensive care incubator since
    Good job NHS now do it to more people!

hmm travelling so close to the due date?
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    NHS slaps British expat couple with £40,000 bill | Daily Mail Online

Good job NHS now do it to more people!

It would be good to see some Mail articles about retired British citizens in Europe sneaking back for free elective NHS treatment. Anecdotally it appears to be very common.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It would be good to see some Mail articles about retired British citizens in Europe sneaking back for free elective NHS treatment. Anecdotally it appears to be very common.
    I'm sure it is. This is very similar lets hope everyone who isn't entitled has to pay or get insurance.

No wonder the NHS is suffering.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Super poster

ladymuck - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Yep. I actually know people who lived in Spain for ~10 years but remained registered as living in the UK and would travel back here for treatment on the NHS but buy their prescriptions in Spain where it was cheaper...

They refused to register as living in Spain and said that they didn't want to use Spanish doctors because they didn't understand them!

They came back to the UK a good while ago having realised they were getting too old and ill to manage the travel back when they needed it.

Contractor Among Contractors

CoolCat has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Yep. I actually know people who lived in Spain for ~10 years but remained registered as living in the UK and would travel back here for treatment on the NHS but buy their prescriptions in Spain where it was cheaper...

They refused to register as living in Spain and said that they didn't want to use Spanish doctors because they didn't understand them!

They came back to the UK a good while ago having realised they were getting too old and ill to manage the travel back when they needed it.
    nonsense Spanish docs speak better English than we do, and a lot better English than the average NHS doc

Super poster

ladymuck - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    nonsense Spanish docs speak better English than we do, and a lot better English than the average NHS doc
    I haven't had any direct experience so can't say but I doubt language was a real barrier. They were in Benidorm, not the sticks.

Banned

northernladuk is always on top

And it's not like it's just a quick flight to Benidorm either.

Super poster

Lockhouse 's job has never been outsourced

ID cards are a great idea. No idea why people are so against them. No UK id or no insurance then no treatment.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quite right. I'm surprised they weren't insured. Whenever we visited the UK in the past 16 years, and needed to use NHS services, we always informed them that we are not entitled to free health care.
    Duct tape holds the universe together. In quantum chromodynamics it's known as the strong force. You get it in different colours, but metallic grey is best.

Godlike

BR14 is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Quite right. I'm surprised they weren't insured. Whenever we visited the UK in the past 16 years, and needed to use NHS services, we always informed them that we are not entitled to free health care.
    People resident in Zambia don't usually have an EHIC card though.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................