• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension for 2nd Director / Employee Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further to this point, I am just about to make my pension contributions for this year.

As I have other personal income I am going to put 8k in personally to get 2k in tax relief taking it to 10k

Then I was going to put in 10k from my business (which I understand I have to set up a bank to bank transfer and let them know so they don't add in the tax relief) and I save some CT.

Question...

What's to stop me putting 10k down as pension payments in my accounts, but transferring the money directly to myself and then sending it to the pension fund where by default they'll add in 20% tax relief (thus saving my self CT and also sneakily getting some extra tax relief)

How would anyone know?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Further to this point, I am just about to make my pension contributions for this year.

As I have other personal income I am going to put 8k in personally to get 2k in tax relief taking it to 10k

Then I was going to put in 10k from my business (which I understand I have to set up a bank to bank transfer and let them know so they don't add in the tax relief) and I save some CT.

Question...

What's to stop me putting 10k down as pension payments in my accounts, but transferring the money directly to myself and then sending it to the pension fund where by default they'll add in 20% tax relief (thus saving my self CT and also sneakily getting some extra tax relief)

How would anyone know?
      When HMRC decide to check your books for some other tax reason and you get caught perhaps?

People who commit fraud tend to do at least one stupid thing which means they get caught.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        What have others set up for their spouses?
        My company pays into my pension every month and a smaller amount into my wife's pension every month.

Comment

Working...
        X