• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

efen drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mag View Post
    They should have bought an x-drive model instead of a poor mans version. I've never had any problems in mine, going up inclines or otherwise.
    I have xDrive on the 60 V12 & the 50d - I don't think it makes sense on anything less powerful bar X cars for UK driving. The 50d would be a handful without it, but it's not available on the UK market anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      They’re a twat to fit in the cold if you’ve not practised.
      More importantly, why don’t we use winter tyres? Most Northern European countries legislate they have to be used in the winter months. They’re not just for snow/ice, they work better at temps below 6C
      So long as you don't go for anything other than the basic chains, you do it once on a nice warm day for practice and you'll have no problem doing it at -10°C in a blizzard. That's my experience.

With FWD and winter tyres I've been stuck getting up icy roads - chains really were necessary then. But since I got a 4WD, the chains I got for that just sit in the boot.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        I have xDrive on the 60 V12 & the 50d - I don't think it makes sense on anything less powerful bar X cars for UK driving. The 50d would be a handful without it, but it's not available on the UK market anyway.
        I'm driving a mapped 335d xD cause of the mileage I'm doing, so about c. 370ps with decent fuel consumption... xD is worth it for the extra grip in the poor weather, of which I get plenty of living up norf.

When I'm doing less miles, I really fancy the new M5, which comes with xD... if depreciation on the new ones is anything like the outgoing model, there should be some bargains to be had in a year or two... beast of a car!

Comment

Originally posted by Mag View Post
          I'm driving a mapped 335d xD cause of the mileage I'm doing, so about c. 370ps with decent fuel consumption... xD is worth it for the extra grip in the poor weather, of which I get plenty of living up norf.

When I'm doing less miles, I really fancy the new M5, which comes with xD... if depreciation on the new ones is anything like the outgoing model, there should be some bargains to be had in a year or two... beast of a car!
          It is awesome. I went to the launch at NL München then took it round Hockenheim a few days later. What I tend to do is get on the waiting list early, drive for 6 months, sell at a premium then buy again in 3 years when the first cars come of leases & have all the recalls done.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
            They’ll need a run-up. Driving in snow isn’t BMWs’ strongest suit.
            Nor Jags, as I found out the hard way, or any two-rear-wheel drive.

Wide tyres are useless in snow as well, it turns out, presumably because they spread the weight too much to grip the snow. I'd have been better off in a 2cv with bicycle tyres!

Managed to get within five miles of my place on Exmoor before the Jag started sliding all over the (B) road and going nowhere (apart from practically over a ravine into a river below)

But then a lady I know in the next village passing in her four-wheel drive stopped and gave me a lift all the way home, which was nice.

Must remember to take her round a nice present next week. Was thinking a large bottle of good quality brandy.

My next car will definitely be another four wheel drive. (I already have a Rangerover, but wasn't using it at the time )
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Nor Jags, as I found out the hard way, or any two-rear-wheel drive.

Wide tyres are useless in snow as well, it turns out, presumably because they spread the weight too much to grip the snow. I'd have been better off in a 2cv with bicycle tyres!

Managed to get within five miles of my place on Exmoor before the Jag started sliding all over the (B) road and going nowhere (apart from practically over a ravine into a river below)

But then a lady I know in the next village passing in her four-wheel drive stopped and gave me a lift all the way home, which was nice.

Must remember to take her round a nice present next week. Was thinking a large bottle of good quality brandy.

My next car will definitely be another four wheel drive. (I already have a Rangerover, but wasn't using it at the time )

Out of interest Owl, what Jag are you driving? I had an XF S a few weeks ago - loved the engine and handling (had wide M&S tires on it) if a little nervous. Munched 2400 km in 3 days with it. I found the ergonomics of the controls daft though - 3 point turns with the silly gear control, pointless swiveling airvents and punching away at a non haptic screen to try and stick the seat heaters on.....

I think what bothered me the most though were the high window lines.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                Out of interest Owl, what Jag are you driving? I had an XF S a few weeks ago - loved the engine and handling (had wide M&S tires on it) if a little nervous. Munched 2400 km in 3 days with it. I found the ergonomics of the controls daft though - 3 point turns with the silly gear control, pointless swiveling airvents and punching away at a non haptic screen to try and stick the seat heaters on.....

I think what bothered me the most though were the high window lines.
                Jaguar XJ (X350), 3.0 litre petrol, the last of the XJ series according to a guy in a Jaguar dealership, although mine is rarely anywhere near as clean as the one in the pic below!

It's always been reliable, touch wood, and generally handles well (apart from in the snow as I've discovered).

I drove the next model, the XF (X250), like the one you drove I think, as a courtesy car for a few days last year, and wasn't that impressed.

The interior fittings didn't seem as solid as the older models somehow, slightly ricketty and plasticky, although doubtless it is technically superior.

One thing I liked though was the automatic engine shutdown at traffic lights and quick start, because that must save fuel in urban stop-start driving.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  They’re a twat to fit in the cold if you’ve not practised.
                  More importantly, why don’t we use winter tyres? Most Northern European countries legislate they have to be used in the winter months. They’re not just for snow/ice, they work better at temps below 6C
                  As most winters you would be taking them off if you live in the Southern half of England.

I looked it to them in 2011 and concluded due to winter months where temperatures averaged 10c with highs of 15c it wasn't worth it.

Personally I don't have a rear wheel drive car and stick to main roads that I know are very likely to be gritted in the snow. I also don't bother driving if no buses are running.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    As most winters you would be taking them off if you live in the Southern half of England.

I looked it to them in 2011 and concluded due to winter months where temperatures averaged 10c with highs of 15c it wasn't worth it.

Personally I don't have a rear wheel drive car and stick to main roads that I know are very likely to be gritted in the snow. I also don't bother driving if no buses are running.
                    I've run winters or M+S trees on my last two cars as soon as the summer tyres they come with have worn out. I didn't find that they wore down much quicker and I didn't notice that big a drop off in performance in the summer.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The problem is all the other twunts who do not stay off the road.

My view on it is simple. Your tires are the only thing connecting your car to the ground. With an airwrench it takes me 10 minuites to change all wheels. You don't have to bother with alloys, and good M&S all seasons can be bought for 100 quid a corner assuming your FWD isn't something bonkers over 200ps. The M&S are good enough over 7 degrees. That said looking at the snow in the UK and the inability to deal with it by public services, you all should have been driving round in 3PMSFs on the M62.

Finally don't overlook the damage that grit & salt can do to your summer rubber.
                      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 2 March 2018, 16:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X