• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

efen drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old 350z doesn't like the wet, and especially not ice. Fully concede that in the hands of a capable person it would slide round corners like a good 'un (it's not one of the most popular cars for drifting without good reason). I'm not too great at managing it when the arse end starts kicking out.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      The problem is all the other twunts who do not stay off the road.

My view on it is simple. Your tires are the only thing connecting your car to the ground. With an airwrench it takes me 10 minuites to change all wheels. You don't have to bother with alloys, and good 3PMSF all seasons can be bought for 100 quid a corner assuming your FWD isn't something bonkers over 200ps. The 3PMSF's are good enough over 7 degrees.

Finally don't overlook the damage that grit & salt can do to your summer rubber.
      I run all season tyres. The cars I've had and have have always been family sized hatchbacks. If I was into sports cars, like a couple of my siblings, I would bother to change my tyres due to weather conditions but I'm not.

Also if the buses aren't running where I am and some London bus routes go down side roads, then it's not safe for me to drive. Bus drivers like most people don't get paid if they don't work but will not work if they are likely to crash due to poor road conditions.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        My old 350z doesn't like the wet, and especially not ice. Fully concede that in the hands of a capable person it would slide round corners like a good 'un (it's not one of the most popular cars for drifting without good reason). I'm not too great at managing it when the arse end starts kicking out.
        Spend a few hundred quid upgrading the sway bars, put some Koni shock asorbers on it and some decent tires and you will have a completley different car handling wise. Just get the parts online and rock up to your local garage. I am loath to change most cars from stock outside of a track (buy the right car in the first place), but the 350z can be transformed at very low cost.

Comment

I'm running on these Michelin Cross Climate tyres:

Michelin Cross Climate vs Winter and All-season tyres | Evo

So far, very impressed. I doubt if you lower spec contractors could afford them though. They cost more than summer tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I run all season tyres. The cars I've had and have have always been family sized hatchbacks. If I was into sports cars, like a couple of my siblings, I would bother to change my tyres due to weather conditions but I'm not.

Also if the buses aren't running where I am and some London bus routes go down side roads, then it's not safe for me to drive. Bus drivers like most people don't get paid if they don't work but will not work if they are likely to crash due to poor road conditions.
            Swellen, sorry - you have quoted before I edited.

There is a difference in weight and center of gravity on a bus. Regardless of what roads you take the breaking efficiency of a sports car is no greater than any other car in winter conditions - Ok this is simplifying it, but think of the disproportionate number of 4x4s off the side of the road who's owners beleive they have a braking advantage,

I am concerned about evasive action when someone else gets it wrong.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 2 March 2018, 16:34.

Comment

CFL, based on your experience, what tyres would you put on a 300PS vehicle that is RWD until they lose traction, then it chucks up to 60% forward, currently with 255/45/R20/105/V Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

So far, very impressed. I doubt if you lower spec contractors could afford them though. They cost more than summer tyres.
                Very good tires and as they wear less than the equivilent Continentals (give or take 5K miles) that 10-20% cost increase will be absorbed.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

At that price, they'd want to be slash resistant Swindon tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    CFL, based on your experience, what tyres would you put on a 300PS vehicle that is RWD until they lose traction, then it chucks up to 60% forward, currently with 255/45/R20/105/V Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on.

That really would depend on the vehicle and your driving style. Weight and CoG are considerations as is how much time you spend in the wet.

I would consider Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUVs. Let me know the car and I'll make a recomendation.

How do you like the Michelins? I find that they not great when braking in the wet, particuarly in a turn, otherwise they are quite good, if expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      At that price, they'd want to be slash resistant Swindon tyres.
                      The main issue is they are only rated up to 186mph, somewhat limiting, especially in snow.

Comment

Working...
                      X