• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caravans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caravans

I just dropped a cool €70k or so on A VW Jules Verne for the motorsport side gig events that are pretty much becoming my main gig. As it will take 3-4 months for the thing to be built, I am considering buying a second hand caravan for the paddock.

I am aware that caravans are for gits, but having somewhere to bed down during a 3 day long DTM event, particulaly with the power drinking that goes on with the crazy Dutch AMG guys a caravan makes sense. The novelty of riding out from the paddock to a hotel on a eScooter when pissed (closed roads I must state) gets old very quickly.

Now of course all the Dutch guys are going to tell me that caravans make sense, they are born with them, so I need a healthy dose of scepticism.

The only car I have which I can fit a tow bar to is my asthmatic 2017 C200d T for the princley sum of GBP750, and I really don't want to buy a vehicle simply for towing - we have a transporter for the cars. Is there anything I can attach to the back of this that will not depreciate like a stone, and that I can actually pull up a hill or for that matter along the road?

seven hundred and fifty quid?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      I just dropped a cool €70k or so on A VW Jules Verne for the motorsport side gig events that are pretty much becoming my main gig. As it will take 3-4 months for the thing to be built, I am considering buying a second hand caravan for the paddock.

I am aware that caravans are for gits, but having somewhere to bed down during a 3 day long DTM event, particulaly with the power drinking that goes on with the crazy Dutch AMG guys a caravan makes sense. The novelty of riding out from the paddock to a hotel on a eScooter when pissed (closed roads I must state) gets old very quickly.

Now of course all the Dutch guys are going to tell me that caravans make sense, they are born with them, so I need a healthy dose of scepticism.

The only car I have which I can fit a tow bar to is my asthmatic 2017 C200d T for the princley sum of GBP750, and I really don't want to buy a vehicle simply for towing - we have a transporter for the cars. Is there anything I can attach to the back of this that will not depreciate like a stone, and that I can actually pull up a hill or for that matter along the road?
      Yes - Have a look at the Freedom Microlite. There is an all singing version with a toilet but takes a lot of space away from the cabin - you are best off with a porta potti and outside toilet tent.

Alternatively the Go-Pods are cool, both very towable by the smallest of cars.

https://freedomcaravans.com/caravan-...rolite-bijoux/

https://www.go-pods.co.uk/second-hand-go-pods.html

Comment

I just dropped a cool €70k or so on A VW Jules Verne for the motorsport side gig events that are pretty much becoming my main gig.
        Sounds great - what you doing (if you don't mind me asking)?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The Go pods look suitably cool. The other ones look like you need corduroy trousers & a sheepskin coat.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airstream...n/323100295966
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Sounds great - what you doing (if you don't mind me asking)?
              Started off as a saftey driver driving the tail car on BMW M Power Tours (which I still do), progressed to the 24 Hour Nuremberg VIP & hospitality team (lots of fun cars & helicopters), then DTM and have just agreed the first 2018 fleet for 3 day corporate events - Briefing - Hockenheim - Autobahn - Nurburgring - Hospitality and private Schloss - following a large microprocessor company giving me the go ahead for 6 events this summer and one car manufacturer for an event each month.

If you are interested i can post some photos. I am borrowing a huge amount of money of course.....

2018 fleet order is:

BMW M140i
              BMW 540
              BMW M550i Limousine
              BMW M3
              BMW M4 Coupé
              BMW M4 Cabrio
              BMW X4 M40
              BMW M6 GranCoupé
              BMW M6 Cabrio
              BMW X5M
              Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S
              Mercedes-Benz GLE 63 AMG*
              Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupé
              Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Cabrio
              Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG Cabrio
              Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S

+ 2x Maseratis to be decided once we have negotiated. The guys at Ingolstadt don't want to play however.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The Go pods look suitably cool. The other ones look like you need corduroy trousers with suspicious stains down the front & a sheepskin coat.
                FTFY

Comment

Started off as a saftey driver driving the tail car on BMW M Power Tours (which I still do), progressed to the 24 Hour Nuremberg VIP & hospitality team (lots of fun cars & helicopters), then DTM and have just agreed the first 2018 fleet for 3 day corporate events - Briefing - Hockenheim - Autobahn - Nurburgring - Hospitality and private Schloss - following a large microprocessor company giving me the go ahead for 6 events this summer and one car manufacturer for an event each month.

If you are interested i can post some photos. I am borrowing a huge amount of money of course.....

2018 fleet order is:

BMW M140i
                  BMW 540
                  BMW M550i Limousine
                  BMW M3
                  BMW M4 Coupé
                  BMW M4 Cabrio
                  BMW X4 M40
                  BMW M6 GranCoupé
                  BMW M6 Cabrio
                  BMW X5M
                  Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S
                  Mercedes-Benz GLE 63 AMG*
                  Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupé
                  Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Cabrio
                  Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG Cabrio
                  Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S

+ 2x Maseratis to be decided once we have negotiated. The guys at Ingolstadt don't want to play however.
                  Blimey. And I thought I was a petrolhead.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Blimey. And I thought I was a petrolhead.
                    It is a nicer office than a data centre I am finding, come on down.

https://imgur.com/a/SH9Iv

Comment

Working...
                    X