• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear...

The Beeb blames accountants

Did they not get in QDOS? (Other contract checking companies are available)

But in a new stance against limited company accountants, the BBC spokesman also told the Sunday Telegraph: “Individuals with a PSC usually engage an accountant to file accounts. Their accountants should have been advising them on the implication of IR35.”
    Whoops!

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by BBC
    Their accountants should have been advising them on the implication of IR35.
    That seems a fair point TBH.

Comment

The Beeb blames HMRC

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...tractoruk.html

Comment

'Their accountants should have been advising them on the implication of IR35'

Accountants will have been employed to reduce the clients tax liabilities as much as possible so they can charge a higher fee.

It is not up to the accountant to ensure their client is working in a specific manner to avoid specific rules and regulations.

The truth is all involved will have known the risks they simple felt they were too 'important' to abide by them.

No sympathy.

Comment

At least 10 years ago on the old PCG forums people were making exactly this point about the BBC presenters - "Why haven't they been chased?", "it's only the little guy that gets his collar felt" etc etc. We thought it was blatantly unfair at the time and wondered how they were getting away with it.

I have absolutely no sympathy for them and as we're told so often by the Powers That Be - "Ignorance is no excuse". They need to grow a pair or pay up, not go around blaming everyone but themselves like spoilt children.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

That was the point I was trying to make, and has been said on here many times, don't rely on your accountant for IR35 matters.

I still hear contractors saying "I let my accountant look after all that stuff."

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              At least 10 years ago on the old PCG forums people were making exactly this point about the BBC presenters - "Why haven't they been chased?", "it's only the little guy that gets his collar felt" etc etc. We thought it was blatantly unfair at the time and wondered how they were getting away with it.

I have absolutely no sympathy for them and as we're told so often by the Powers That Be - "Ignorance is no excuse". They need to grow a pair or pay up, not go around blaming everyone but themselves like spoilt children.
              I recall these conversations. While we were fighting for our lives through the "great recession", some of us barely recovered from the Dot Com crash they were swanning around without a care in the world, effectively government permies.

Comment

Working...
              X