• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor asked to participate in Performance appraisal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor asked to participate in Performance appraisal

Hi,

I have just been given a 4 day deadline to provide constructive feedback on 3 people whom are permanent for my current client. 2 questions

1 - Am i supposed to be involved in such processes as a contractor can i politely decline due to IR35
    2 - if someone has been asked to feedback on me should i also raise this?

One of the reasons i contract is to not have these HR processes.....can I decline without upsetting the client?

Decline by simply saying as you are not a permanent member of staff you cannot get involved in their internal HR processes as it is not part of the agreed obligations in your contract

The client knows SFA about IR35 which is a tax law not an employment/workers law.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh and employees are allowed to give feedback on service providers. If however they want to do an employee like appraisal on you with that feedback that's when you tell them "No".
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have you asked your friendly HMR&C tax inspector for advice? They love helping out in this sort of thing.....

Comment

I was asked to give feedback on the TCS guys at client site.... it was worth it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I was asked to give feedback on the TCS guys at client site.... it was worth it.
            i gave feedback on WiPro when i was tenuuosly working for Infosys. that was fun too

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              i gave feedback on WiPro when i was tenuuosly working for Infosys. that was fun too
              Did you start with 'I'm not racist but...'?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Did you start with 'I'm not racist but...'?
                No, i was professional, as usual. so i gave my opinion of their performance against what i would consider to be competent engineers

They didn't ask me to do it for their guys though, - pity

Comment

Giving feedback of some employees doesn't make you an employee unless it is seen as part of their culture IMO... they might in fact be after your opinion as a skilled contractor?

Equally they are totally within their rights to evaluate you and your work but you cannot be pressured to jump through HR hoops like appraisals.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Giving feedback of some employees doesn't make you an employee unless it is seen as part of their culture IMO... they might in fact be after your opinion as a skilled contractor?

Equally they are totally within their rights to evaluate you and your work but you cannot be pressured to jump through HR hoops like appraisals.
                    This. I had a 3 monthly review at a client but they called it a supplier review and was against the deliverables in the contract. More than happy to fill that in and file it in the evidence folder.

Still best avoided getting involved with the permie stuff if at all possible whatever they are after though.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X