• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council tax dispute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council tax dispute

I wonder if anyone had disputes with the local council re council tax?
    2 years ago, due to house flooding the insurance company relocated me to an alternative accommodation, it was originally 2 months that kept getting renewed to 6 months, the terms in the contract stipulated that landlord should pay all bills including council tax, but two years later I get two chasers from the council about the payment as the landlord is refusing to pay it.

I sent the signed contract to the council, but they are refusing to look at it, and tell me I am liable for paying it.

I expect my option would be first to do a formal complaint to the council- I may have to pay the council tax myself and then take the landlord to court.

Anyone had running with the council about this?
    Unfortunately my home insurance does not include legal advice, if anyone has thoughts on this please post.

Looking around most sites say its the tenant. This site is very clear.
    http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20...te_landlords/1

I'd assume they won't look at the contract because it's you that must pay regardless.

Your best recourse is to pay it and then take the landlord to a small claims and get it back off him that way. It's highly possible he won't attend the session and you'll win.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      I wonder if anyone had disputes with the local council re council tax?
      2 years ago, due to house flooding the insurance company relocated me to an alternative accommodation, it was originally 2 months that kept getting renewed to 6 months, the terms in the contract stipulated that landlord should pay all bills including council tax, but two years later I get two chasers from the council about the payment as the landlord is refusing to pay it.

I sent the signed contract to the council, but they are refusing to look at it, and tell me I am liable for paying it.

I expect my option would be first to do a formal complaint to the council- I may have to pay the council tax myself and then take the landlord to court.

Anyone had running with the council about this?
      Unfortunately my home insurance does not include legal advice, if anyone has thoughts on this please post.
      Buy a copy of "The Council Tax Handbook" from Amazon. BTW I won a case using that book, it is well worth the money.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Buy a copy of "The Council Tax Handbook" from Amazon. BTW I won a case using that book, it is well worth the money.

Thank you

Comment

Oh there are a few The Council Tax Handbook on amazon, do you remember which author?

Comment

The citizens advice page also states its the person living in it. The landlord only pays in certain situations and you aren't one of them so you can see why the council think they are in the right. Any contractual promises to pay is a matter between you and the landlord.
            https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...x/council-tax/

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The citizens advice page also states its the person living in it. The landlord only pays in certain situations and you aren't one of them so you can see why the council think they are in the right. Any contractual promises to pay is a matter between you and the landlord.
              https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...x/council-tax/
              Yes, saw the above page. However on the council page it says:
              Sometimes the owner of a property will have to pay instead of the person who lives there. The owner is liable to pay if:
              .the residents are staying in the property temporarily and their main home is somewhere else
              I called citizen advice bureau and they said I should submit a formal complaint and go on to the ombudsmen !!

I submitted a formal complaint to the council, and I think I need some legal advice on how to legally make the landlord pay the council tax, as the contract was signed by him and black and white.

I'd like to halt the council demands and summons until landlord is forced to pay the council or if I end up paying, then compensate me, I think I may have to go to small claims court, but don't know the process, anyone knows a good - reasonably priced- legal adviser I can speak with?

Comment

That quote doesn't make sense. Everytime I've rented when I've stayed away I have paid the council tax.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  That quote doesn't make sense. Everytime I've rented when I've stayed away I have paid the council tax.
                  I was in the middle of a big fight with the insurance and builders, plus full time contract.. so I agreed with the agency to increase the rent - almost paid double, on the condition the landlord pays all the bills and keep them in his name..

This is the term in the contract:
                  The Tenant shall pay to the Landlord or Agent £2,200.00 per calendar month, payable in advance to include the payment of gas, electricity and water supplied to the Premises and for the payment of council tax and television license during the Term.

If this wasn't in the contract, and I didn't pay double the rent, of course I would have paid, please note am not trying to get away with not paying the council tax, I actually paid it to the landlord who agreed and signed a contract to pay it to the council.

Comment

Interesting. You've got him bang to rights there. Maybe have a look in to taking him to small claims for the money back then. I don't believe it's expensive to do and hopefully he'll pay up and you pay the council.
                    Taking councils to task can be a very long tedious process so look for other avenues?

Comment

Working...
                    X