• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trade war begins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    ....the EU in close second place. It's way past time the US put a stop to this.
    Interesting.

says who? Trump presumably

Can you justify this ?

The EU isn’t protectionist – it’s one of the most open economies in the world
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Interesting.

says who? Trump presumably
      What do you think the Customs Union is?

This isn't specifically what the US administration is focussing on, however. It's the abuse of NAFTA, both China and the EU ship components to Mexico and Canada for assembly and then sell the finished goods in the US under the NAFTA agreement. This circumvents trade agreements in place for direct trade. That's the current beef.

Comment

It's something that currently allows minor countries with poor negotiating skills the ability to conduct around 50% of their export trade with the rest of the EU and not incurring any duty.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

This isn't specifically what the US administration is focussing on, however. It's the abuse of NAFTA, both China and the EU ship components to Mexico and Canada for assembly and then sell the finished goods in the US under the NAFTA agreement. This circumvents trade agreements in place for direct trade. That's the current beef.
          So you are saying Canada and Mexico are "protectionist", you forgot to blame Japan, Australia and India as well

There are rules that ensure that anything exported from Mexico and Canada to the US have sufficient amount of local content.
          The US companies do more of this than EU companies, and you can apply the same argument to US companies shipping foreign components to their factories in the EU or Canada.

No-one is circumventing any rules apart from the US applying unilateral tariffs.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

And how does increased tariffs on steel and alumunium imports into the US help that? Doh!
            It's not going to help US manufacturers, is it?
            https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news...eel/391059002/
            I find it interesting that the biggest critics of this are congressional Republicans.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I find it interesting how a lot of people in the UK support the US in blocking their exports and forcing UK job losses.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I find it interesting how a lot of people in the UK support the US in blocking their exports and forcing UK job losses.
                Ideological stupidity.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Where does it say they are blocking exports?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    You need to apply some basic economic analysis to understand this one. Give us a shout if we can help.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      There is plenty of footage on the news channels.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X