• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WE all want IR35 benefits (surely KUATB?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    An agent was telling me earlier this week that some government dept. was looking for 40 big-data engineers, outside London, permie and paying peanuts. Urgently.

I think we both just rolled our eyes.
    wtf would you do with 40 big data engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Engineer some really big data?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Sit back and enjoy the stimulating conversation? Thought not...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Hide the pies and tell them to go on a diet...

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            PC is. I was up to 5 months ago.
            Yep Public sector gig inside IR35 since April 2017. No difference except it turned out easier to go umbrella. Obviously, tonks more tax but 35% rate increase sorted that one out. Worked out its better to put loads into pension rather than lose almost 50% of it to tax/ni as well.

And of course, I dont have to worry about IR35 at all.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              Surely you just quit and go permie? Why would you put up with it without employment benefits?
              Are you serious? How much are employment benefits worth to you then?

£3-4K a month in your pocket to have paid sick, holidays etc. Gotta to be pretty good benefits.....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Cos you probably still get paid more? Cos you don't have to do performance reviews? Cos getting rid of an employee is hard work so they still want flexible resources?
                Probably? Anyone even considering an inside IR35 contract for public sector and not getting substantially more take home than a permie needs to think carefully if they're head needs sorting out.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Probably? Anyone even considering an inside IR35 contract for public sector and not getting substantially more take home than a permie needs to think carefully if they're head needs sorting out.
                  <cough>
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To be honest, on a practical level, my only gripe with the concept of IR35 is that it means I can't compete commercially for contracts away from home.

It's not far fetched to believe that even if inside agreements did become widespread that contract rates would increase as people flow back to permie - which is fine for local stuff where a bit of mileage and lunch is a perk. But, as I say, it would mean really pricing yourself out the market to cover any staying away expenses.

And as someone who is more consultant than contractor that really rubs raw, because I could go and get a permie consultant job based at home and be sent away for long periods, where I get to claim expenses just like I do now.

Non practically I have a lot of issues with the whole bulltulip and I'm thoroughly glad to see the government suffering. Not that it'll make a blind bit of difference to their decision making.
                    Last edited by vwdan; 9 March 2018, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      To be honest, on a practical level, my only gripe with the concept of IR35 is that it means I can't compete commercially for contracts away from home.
                      Yep - £25k in travel and subsistence to be paid for out of your post tax salary is going to be hard to negotiate with a client

Comment

Working...
                      X