• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New EPC rules on rental properties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New EPC rules on rental properties

I bought a period, listed property a year ago as a BTL.

I've just had a letter from the agent informing me that for new tenancies after March, the property must be band E or higher.

I've never heard of this until today, it seems the law was passed in 2015 but neither my solicitor not the agent ever mentioned it in ask the searches, etc.

Has anyone else been hit by this, or perhaps hadn't even realised they were going to be until reading my post? How are you handling it... If you have a tenant already you have until 2020 as long as they don't leave!

Apparently as my property is between lets I just take action by 1 April, kind of short notice depending what is construed as taking action.

Government guidance on complying with 2018 energy regulations - ARLA Propertymark
    Last edited by d000hg; 10 March 2018, 14:56.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

https://support.elementsproperty.co....mpt-from-epcs/

I would say your period (listed) property is exempt if you can prove it would ‘unacceptably alter it’

PS. Don't you just love these sort of vague rules, regulations and laws....
    Last edited by _V_; 10 March 2018, 15:34.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      https://support.elementsproperty.co....mpt-from-epcs/

I would say your period (listed) property is exempt if you can prove it would ‘unacceptably alter it’

PS. Don't you just love these sort of vague rules, regulations and laws....
      I did wonder about this. Windows can be replaced depending on the council but the big changes would come from wall insulation - externally not a chance in this area, internally there are original features like covings, etc.

The annoying thing is that as it is a middle-flat, the ceiling and floor are not included in EPC scoring but are presumably well-insulated so the flat as a whole is not losing heat through the roof or floor which are major losses in typical old properties. At least I assume it works this way, the EPC certificate doesn't detail where the score is calculated in this detail... if so it makes clawing back the points required much harder as there are less things to do. Windows only gain 1-2 points, the same as switching to LEDs.

Comment

If this isn't some sentimental home you are planning to move back into, I would say sell the place. Property prices are back at 2007 levels.

If you must be a BTL landlord, buy one or two modern places to rent out with the money.

Comment

Don't listen to Dim.

Send your wife (or partner) on a DEA course to become qualified and then swing her a tenner extra to grade your property as energy efficient.

And then you can send her out to work and collect the £50 per EPC that she carries out. Simple really.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If this isn't some sentimental home you are planning to move back into, I would say sell the place. Property prices are back at 2007 levels.

If you must be a BTL landlord, buy one or two modern places to rent out with the money.
            Only just bought it 1 year ago, hence my upset nobody told me about this. There are sentimental attachments and we ultimately want to run it as a holiday rental and get use from it ourselves.

Selling it, any would-be landlord would have the same issue although I take your point of it was purely an investment... Don't get attached.

Comment

So, what band is the property?

What suggestions were made with the current EPC for improving the rating?

Not enough information here.

You have gone into a new business without doing due dilligence?

FFS!

BTW, BTL only refers to the fimance vehicle, i.e. a mortgage granted for the purpose of buying a property to let. Prior to that (and this still applies in many instances) it would have to be done via a commercial mortgage. Commercial Mortgages are NOT BTL. Buying a property for cash with a view to renting out is NOT BTL.

Only Hoover vacum cleaners are Hoovers. Dyson vacum cleaners are Not Hoovers. Henry vacum cleaners are not Hoovers. Understand?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I bought a period, listed property a year ago as a BTL.

I've just had a letter from the agent informing me that for new tenancies after March, the property must be band E or higher.

I've never heard of this until today, it seems the law was passed in 2015 but neither my solicitor not the agent ever mentioned it in ask the searches, etc.

Has anyone else been hit by this, or perhaps hadn't even realised they were going to be until reading my post? How are you handling it... If you have a tenant already you have until 2020 as long as they don't leave!

Apparently as my property is between lets I just take action by 1 April, kind of short notice depending what is construed as taking action.

Government guidance on complying with 2018 energy regulations - ARLA Propertymark

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                So, what band is the property?

What suggestions were made with the current EPC for improving the rating?

Not enough information here.

You have gone into a new business without doing due dilligence?

FFS!

BTW, BTL only refers to the fimance vehicle, i.e. a mortgage granted for the purpose of buying a property to let. Prior to that (and this still applies in many instances) it would have to be done via a commercial mortgage. Commercial Mortgages are NOT BTL. Buying a property for cash with a view to renting out is NOT BTL.

Only Hoover vacum cleaners are Hoovers. Dyson vacum cleaners are Not Hoovers. Henry vacum cleaners are not Hoovers. Understand?
                The brand Hoover is so well connected to manufacture of vacuum cleaners in many people's minds instead of using the term "vacuum cleaner" for those made by Dyson, Henry, Miele etc many people use the colloquial term "hoover" for them. Likewise the term "sellotape" is used for sticky clear tape which maybe made by WHSmiths or some random Chinese manufacturer.

I'm surprised posters on here don't understand the effect of advertising and branding on everyday language.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Only just bought it 1 year ago, hence my upset nobody told me about this. There are sentimental attachments and we ultimately want to run it as a holiday rental and get use from it ourselves.

Selling it, any would-be landlord would have the same issue although I take your point of it was purely an investment... Don't get attached.
                  If it is more of a holiday rental sort of place, put it on AirBnB and you won't have to worry about the EPC bollix.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I can think of a couple of things you could do to bring it up.

What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X