• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steam Generator Irons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    I had a part time job when I was at uni cleaning hotel rooms inc ironing bedsheets, a heavy iron was best for this.
    Whilst wearing a haz mat suit I'd imagine.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      The one you posted had only 4 star reviews.

Here is another Swan one with better reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MMLI2..._t3_B00OMILR0S

Still can't decide between Morphy Richards, Swan or Philips.....
      Well I've just looked through the 1 star reviews and haven't had any of the issues mentioned on all three pages and we've had 3 of them spanning as long as I can remember but it's your call. After getting used to the look of mine the one you linked is just plain ugly. No way would I be getting that, 5 stars or not. Guess it comes down to your research and getting the one you are happy with. You'll be glad you got a reservoir type whatever you get IMO.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
        I had a part time job when I was at uni cleaning hotel rooms inc ironing bedsheets, a heavy iron was best for this.
        So you are the resident expert.

What kind of iron as in manufacturer and brand did you use?

Personally I iron as few clothes as possible which I can get away with as a woman who doesn't have to wear shirts.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used to have loads of shirts that needed ironing. Then they de-creased.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            I don't own one but I'm certainly tempted!

https://www.johnlewis.com/leifheit-a...8cm/p231402937

qh
            Looks the dog's bollox, but I'd be worried the surface material would be damaged if one accidently or deliberately used the iron on the linen setting!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Well I've just looked through the 1 star reviews and haven't had any of the issues mentioned on all three pages and we've had 3 of them spanning as long as I can remember but it's your call. After getting used to the look of mine the one you linked is just plain ugly. No way would I be getting that, 5 stars or not. Guess it comes down to your research and getting the one you are happy with. You'll be glad you got a reservoir type whatever you get IMO.
              I'll take your word for it and give it ago. Can't be worse than what we currently have.

Comment

That SwanSteam sucks compared to Bosch irons. The Bosch iron is an absolute monster. You only need to make one pass on a crinkly white doubled cuffed shirt and it's done - presto.

The steam function is immense as well. Shoots out 200G of steam! Excellent for removing creases in suits or anything. It costs similar to other irons. It has a palladium base.

I've used many brands of mid-high quality with same specs like wattage and grams of steam - none of them compare the same as the Bosch.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Haven't done any ironing for a couple of years at least, but I recall you also need a large, steady non-wobbly ironing board with decent padding and heat-resistant, stain-resistant surface.

Any recommendations for that here would also be useful.
                  LIDL strangely enough. They do one bigger than your average aircraft carriers with a mesh backing so steam dissipates. It also has an extension socket underneath so you get the full Iron lead length.

Best two we ever had. Previous were wobbly and tiny.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    The last 3 irons we've had have been this one (or variants as they've changed over the years) and they are bloody great. At that price I'll be buying another as a spare as the current one is a couple of years old.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swan-Genera...ords=swan+iron

I think they are better as the ones you've linked can be massive so I'd say check the dimensions first. The swan one was big enough for hard use but not as big as the others.

Tons of steam definitely the way to go and wouldn't go back to a normal one now.

Only downside is actually the amount of steam. If you are in the habit of doing it all in one go you'll get a lot more condensation on the windows and the ironing board could start to drip.
                    Anything that gets the Missus wet is good?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Has anybody got experience with Steam Generator Irons? Morphy Richards vs Philips?
                      Get something multifunctional....

Comment

Working...
                      X