• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My - how things have changed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My - how things have changed!

Hello - This is my first time on the Forum, and I just wanted to have a look around.
    I am hoping to start contracting again (IT - Analytics Platform Administration = SAS and Tableau, VB.Net, SQL and C# Dev) this year after being in Perm roles for 12 years.

Last time I contracted we were paid weekly and agencies would form the Umbrella companies for us, handle our taxes etc.
    I have just started up my own Limited Company, and also had to get Public Liability insurance. Also had to get an accountant to handle taxes and expenses.

The agency recruiting me for a job in Dublin had a 35 day term for paying my invoices. SO I have to wait 35 days before I get paid. Is this a standard trend nowadays?

I guess there are some big contracting companies out there with a lot of weight, like WIPRO, Dabster Systems, etc, so they can pretty much do as they like.
    It would be useful / helpful to know who the nasties are so we can avoid these agencies.

Is there a "Name them and shame them" thread here we could look at, and perhaps review them / rate them (Like Tripadvisor?)

I am looking forward to embracing this rave new world of contracting. Hopefully it has some good things for us.

Kind regards

Len

Payment terms are pretty much what you are willing to accept. 35 days would be a no go for me.

Indian = Very nastie.
    Not Indian = Not so nasty, but nasty.

If you were letting agencies handle taxes & umbrellas you were losing out on a lot of money.

It is a very bad time to start contracting. Have you left your permenant job yet?

Comment

Thanks for your post.

Yes - have already left my perm job.
      I was working in Bracknell and looking to move to the Milton Keynes area, but failed to secure a good role there.
      Yep - I see what you mean and I am slowly arriving at the same conclusion re Indian agencies as mentioned in your post.
      I hate feeling like a slab of meat to these people.
      I have to keep reminding myself I am a decent human being, in order to retain my self-worth.

Comment

Working...
      X