• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

assisted suicide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assisted suicide

Disbelief. Had to read this twice to be sure I was not mistaken - how incredibly sad but at the same time understandable. Wonder what the music track.. Radiohead would do it for me.

At 2pm on 26 January, Aurelia Brouwers lay down on her bed to die. Clutching a toy pink dinosaur and listening to her favourite music, the 29-year-old drank her prescribed medication as close friends gathered round. “She asked me to lie next to her. She had a smile on her face, and then she went softly into sleep,” Sjoukje Willering told the Observer. “It was very serene and calm. It was beautiful.”

“A border is being crossed between individual empathy and societal acceptance. If it becomes a societal norm that a person who has a psychiatric condition can opt to die, that is a problem.”
    Fully support euthanasia, it is an individual choice where the state should not interfere. Mental illness adds a twist though, how can someone who is depressed (or other mental illness) be offered assisted suicide? Surely at this point we're assisting the disease rather than the individual?

source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ia-netherlands
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Having experienced euthanasia being performed on a person I knew very well, my conclusion is that I can only be against it.
    She was suffering from colon cancer, there were still treatment options but she decided not to be a burden on her family anymore (her husband just died 3 months earlier, so clearly she was also depressed about that) and ask the doctor to commit euthanasia on her, which he did without any attempt to change her mind (as standard protocol a second doctor has to visit and give his opinion as well, but that was really just a 10 minute visit, without asking too many questions)

Comment

If someone wants to end their life why is it anyone else's decision whether they should or should not?

Comment

Voluntary euthanasia has to be introduced sooner rather than later.

The NHS is hugely overburdened trying to prolong the lives of countless elderly people who would, in a great many instances, much rather not be here.

It would be a win-win if we were to release those resources from that.

A dwindling number of resources are currently deployed lengthening what are miserable existences for many older people.

We should instead be using them to save and improve the lives of younger sufferers.

Just my 2p worth.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

[QUOTE=scooterscot;2538478]

That's really brightened up my Monday, thanks for that.

You really are a ray of sunshine, you know that?

Comment

[QUOTE=Pip in a Poke;2538797]
            Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

That's really brightened up my Monday, thanks for that.

You really are a ray of sunshine, you know that?
            My daughters seem to think so.

PS: you can choose not to read this!

I recall my last visit to my granddad as the decision was made to switch off his life support. He wished for me a happy life and he held my hand longingly before letting go a minute later. I never understood his words or the significance of what was happening so young I was. Point being his choice was consciously made and seemed to me to be in sound mind. There was no suffering to my knowledge. And this is important. Death is part of life, I don't know why there's such a taboo in the UK about the subject. It's going to happen to us all like it or not. There needs to be established support from authority, not resistance.

I'm not with the SB approach turning the NHS into extermination camps. AS should not be encouraged because of resources in demand, that's like Tory Austerity final solution. They could eliminate the majority of their voting base in one strike doubt they'll go for that.

We're judged by a jury of our peers in the court of law, I don't know why such a system does not exist for our wellbeing when the suffering is too great.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not with the SB approach turning the NHS into extermination camps.
              Wow. That is some extrapolation from voluntary euthanasia, even for you.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

wow

Disbelief. Had to read this twice to be sure I was not mistaken - how incredibly sad but at the same time understandable. Wonder what the music track.. Radiohead would do it for me.

Fully support euthanasia, it is an individual choice where the state should not interfere. Mental illness adds a twist though, how can someone who is depressed (or other mental illness) be offered assisted suicide? Surely at this point we're assisting the disease rather than the individual?

source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ia-netherlands
                wow thats mental

Comment

And there was me thinking this was a request for volunteers...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Voluntary euthanasia has to be introduced sooner rather than later.

The NHS is hugely overburdened trying to prolong the lives of countless elderly people who would, in a great many instances, much rather not be here.

It would be a win-win if we were to release those resources from that.

A dwindling number of resources are currently deployed lengthening what are miserable existences for many older people.

We should instead be using them to save and improve the lives of younger sufferers.

Just my 2p worth.
                    Wait until it's your turn. Soylent Green comes to mind

Comment

Working...
                    X