• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Germany (I know this has been done to death, sorry)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Germany (I know this has been done to death, sorry)

Hi All,

As per the title, I know this subject comes up alot, but I think my circumstances are slightly different. I currently plan to proceed as follows, but after researching on here I'm concerned I'm going to get myself into a sh***y situation with the German tax authority!

- Working offshore as a consultant on a wind farm in German waters (approx 45km off the coast). 2 weeks living on a vessel, 2 weeks back in UK at home.
    - Operate through my UK Ltd company that I have just set up for this assignment.
    - Working for a Danish company, paid in Euros.
    - Duration approx 9 months (half of which will be spent on the job, other half at home in UK). Day rate isn't anything crazy (i.e. it's 3 figures).
    - I will only be on German soil 2 days a month!

Am I going to end up in bother operating via my UK Ltd? Does the fact I'm operating on a vessel 45km from Germany make me exempt?
    Should I go via a UK umbrella instead (I am considering I-PAYE if you guys think I need to go this option).

I am getting to wards the time where I really need to make a decision, so I would really appreciate any help/advice you guys can offer.

Cheers,

Bomster
    Last edited by Bomster1; 18 March 2018, 18:47.

You're a UK resident by the sounds of it, working for a Danish company. What part of that is contracting in Germany?

The Danes might get upset if you call them German
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      You're a UK resident by the sounds of it, working for a Danish company. What part of that is contracting in Germany?

The Danes might get upset if you call them German
      Thanks for the response scooterscot, I will be working in German waters, i.e. the wind farm is being build in the German 'Exclusive Economic Zone 1' (think this just means it's German territory even though it's a long way off the coast).

Haha, yes I have already learnt the Danish aren't overly fond of the Germans, but thanks for the heads up anyway

Comment

In general : have you swallowed a German sausage ?

Comment

You are still in the Glorious EU, we can all get along together in one big love in!

so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Can I suggest you get a statement from the Danish paymasters as to your tax situation?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            You are still in the Glorious EU, we can all get along together in one big love in!

so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Can I suggest you get a statement from the Danish paymasters as to your tax situation?
            Hi Veteran,

Thanks for your response!

So you think I will be exempt form German tax? Also, what kind of statement should I get form the Danish company, just one stating the tax arrangements?

Comment

Working...
            X