BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 43

Still gathering requirements...

poorautojobber is good enough for Jehovah!

Ultimately HMRC are going to use this as the public case to push through IR35 changes.
    Companies will then have a choice hire more perm if they are disguising employment or pay more money for truly flexible workers via PAYE their will be winners and losers but it will cost engagers more.
    The truly self-employed by PSC's will get swept up and that's what we all ultimately worry about.

Ah well..... Nearly mid-week

Contractor Among Contractors

saptastic 's job has never been outsourced

Presenters' stress over BBC 'tax pressure' - BBC News

Presenters' stress over BBC 'tax pressure'

Presenters will now be able to ask for a review of their cases through the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution.
    The process will consider whether it is "appropriate or reasonable" for the BBC to make a contribution towards historic demands for employer's National Insurance.

Contractor Among Contractors

saptastic 's job has never been outsourced

If the bill is £400k for one presenter - HMRC will be licking their lips here.

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by saptastic View Post
    How many missiles does that buy?
    Because feelings...

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by saptastic View Post
    The presenter will be forced to pay - that is until one kills themselves....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

More time posting than coding

anonymouse is a permanent contractor

Default Botched attempt

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    bbc-presenter-tries-to-kill-herself-over-botched-pay-deal

One female radio presenter told the committee she felt forced to set up a PSC in 2011 despite losing out financially as a result. When controversy over the arrangement blew up in 2017, she said she then had to work on three-month contracts with “no sick pay, no holiday, no permanent contract” opposite a better-paid male staff member who enjoyed those benefits.

“I have been paid too little due to the use of incorrect tax codes, been subject to clawback, received no information for months on end as to what I was going to live off,” she said. “My mental health deterioration is absolutely linked to the increased stress of working for the BBC. I have always loved working for the BBC but the way they have behaved has reduced me to more than tears.” She said she had recently attempted to kill herself.
    Last edited by anonymouse; 20th March 2018 at 20:51.

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    can we vote which one?

There are a few that get on my wick!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Super poster

Hobosapien - scorchio!

Admit it, with a PSC you're just a glorified zero hours contractor disguised employee, which is the way the clients want it so they can pay less tax and avoid employment rules. Government kindly assists them with IR35.

PSC's should be scrapped and let those truly self employed work that way like many tradespeople, responsible for their own taxes and no need for client to even think about it. The contract is named to the individual anyway so no need for pretence. Can then claim expenses and other reasonable things that you incur working freelance.

If you're working like an employee then become an employee, on a short 'fixed' term contract if you don't want to commit to 'a job for life' which doesn't really exist anymore anyway apart from a few public sector places.

The rest that operate more like proper b2b contractors should be able to use a Ltd (non-PSC) like the consultancies, with right of substitution etc as the contract is named to the Ltd not the individual.

Simple, yet I wonder why this hasn't been done. I'm sure it's because the civil servants like creating work to keeo themselves in a job, so the tax rules become ever more complicated, and nothing to do with the powers that be telling government what they want if the MPs are to get a nice little earner in private corporations after leaving parliament.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    can we vote which one?

There are a few that get on my wick!

1. Steve Wright
    2. Michael McIntyre
    3. Brendan O'Carroll
    4. Jeremy Vine (when on the radio)
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Should post faster

madame SasGuru is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Admit it, with a PSC you're just a glorified zero hours contractor disguised employee, which is the way the clients want it so they can pay less tax and avoid employment rules. Government kindly assists them with IR35.

PSC's should be scrapped and let those truly self employed work that way like many tradespeople, responsible for their own taxes and no need for client to even think about it. The contract is named to the individual anyway so no need for pretence. Can then claim expenses and other reasonable things that you incur working freelance.

If you're working like an employee then become an employee, on a short 'fixed' term contract if you don't want to commit to 'a job for life' which doesn't really exist anymore anyway apart from a few public sector places.

The rest that operate more like proper b2b contractors should be able to use a Ltd (non-PSC) like the consultancies, with right of substitution etc as the contract is named to the Ltd not the individual.

Simple, yet I wonder why this hasn't been done. I'm sure it's because the civil servants like creating work to keeo themselves in a job, so the tax rules become ever more complicated, and nothing to do with the powers that be telling government what they want if the MPs are to get a nice little earner in private corporations after leaving parliament.
    You can do everything in your list already but you clearly don't understand why people use Limited Companies - which is because Agencies cannot supply self employed people. Agencies can only supply people either on their own payroll or via a 3rd party which is where your limited company comes into play.

And what exactly is a PSC? I don't know anyone with a PSC but I do have a limited company (due partly to me working via an Agency but also to limit my personal liability).