• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A PSC means you tick the PSC box. A typical IT contractor probably is a PSC, didn't we have this discussion a while ago?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      A PSC means you tick the PSC box. A typical IT contractor probably is a PSC, didn't we have this discussion a while ago?
      What box on what question on what form?

Comment

Quite a few times over the years...
        https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...hrome&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
          You can do everything in your list already but you clearly don't understand why people use Limited Companies - which is because Agencies cannot supply self employed people. Agencies can only supply people either on their own payroll or via a 3rd party which is where your limited company comes into play.

And what exactly is a PSC? I don't know anyone with a PSC but I do have a limited company (due partly to me working via an Agency but also to limit my personal liability).
          And why is that? Who set those rules and why?

As mentioned above, PSC is a tick box on the self assessment when declaring type of employment if via a director of a Ltd, though I can't recall seeing it on the last one due January 2018.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            And why is that? Who set those rules and why?

As mentioned above, PSC is a tick box on the self assessment when declaring type of employment if via a director of a Ltd, though I can't recall seeing it on the last one due January 2018.
            A labour government back in 1977 to protect workers from abuse by agencies who forced them to be self employed.

And the fact its not on the form was partly why I asked the question. That information is now collected in a more appropriate and direct way (from the agency who have to pass to HMRC your NI number alongside amounts paid and to whom the money was paid).

But I will ask for a second time exactly what is a PSC - I assume as you brought it up you can give me the legal definition of what a PSC is...

Comment

But I will ask for a second time exactly what is a PSC - I assume as you brought it up you can give me the legal definition of what a PSC is...
              What kind of moronic reasoning is that?

Use Google. IR35 is a real thing but a black & white in/out logic doesn't really exist so precedent is set for a PSC to be somewhat similar. I'd hope all of us here are quite able to determine if we qualify as such, apart from where we're being deliberately, antagonistically obtuse.

Although interesting (not really) PSC has another definition already, Person of Significant Control within a company.

Comment

A labour government back in 1977 to protect workers from abuse by agencies who forced them to be self employed.

And the fact its not on the form was partly why I asked the question. That information is now collected in a more appropriate and direct way (from the agency who have to pass to HMRC your NI number alongside amounts paid and to whom the money was paid).

You are aware as most of the posters on the board there is no legal definition of a PSC. The definition is made up by HMRC and if people have more than one director in their company, particularly one that is fee earning the PSC definition is a load of rubbish.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What kind of moronic reasoning is that?

Use Google. IR35 is a real thing but a black & white in/out logic doesn't really exist so precedent is set for a PSC to be somewhat similar. I'd hope all of us here are quite able to determine if we qualify as such, apart from where we're being deliberately, antagonistically obtuse.

Although interesting (not really) PSC has another definition already, Person of Significant Control within a company.
                  Nope - Person of Significant Control is not the same thing as PSC in the Personal Service Company context it has previously being used for within this thread. For instance AtW is a person with significant control in a company but its clear his company isn't his personal company.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You are aware as most of the posters on the board there is no legal definition of a PSC. The definition is made up by HMRC and if people have more than one director in their company, particularly one that is fee earning the PSC definition is a load of rubbish.
                    Why do you think I was asking the question?

Comment

Yes as I said, PSC seems to mean two entirely separate things which happen to be related in some cases. That's a problem of acronyms only that could lead to confusion.

I'm not sure there has to be a legal definition. You review the guidelines and decide if you are one, like with IR35, and they can challenge it in which case it goes tor review. Many things in our society - including the entire legal system - work on such principles.

Comment

Working...
                      X